Dan Allen Hughes Devils River Info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan Allen Hughes Devils River Info?

Got drawn for the GDE there Dec 14-17. Hard to find much info on the place as I think this will only be the second or third hunt there. Anyone have any info??

My son was drawn for the very first hunt ever on that property several years ago. Youth either sex hunt. He shot an aoudad ram and a doe. Saw animals each time out in our compartment.

At that time, we drew numbers and got to pick our compartment. Each compartment is fairly large and I think they only take about a dozen hunters. You'll have plenty of room to wander. I just saw the info said "no baiting" but we were allowed to bait. The guy running the place said the animals wouldn't even know what corn was but both the aoudad and doe stopped dead and started eating when they hit the corn. The first part of the hunt, we drove/glassed/hiked a large canyon and saw animals but couldn't close the deal. It wasn't until we moved to the flat on top of the canyon, corned up and through out a pop up blind that we actually got close enough for my son to shoot. Still shot 175 to get the aoudad.

As far as the property, the compartments up front near the office are relatively flat and easy to get around. Some blackbuck and axis in this area, especially around the runway strip. As you head toward the river, more canyons/draws start and greater likelihood of running into aoudad/sheep. It looked like the deer were pretty evenly distributed throughout the property. Saw one really nice buck but too far away for my son to get a shot. We had a compartment which had a large canyon through the middle with a good gravel road. Didn't need 4X4 at all. Not sure about the compartments all the way on the river.

Remember there are no camping/overnight facilities. We stayed in Del Rio and drove up every morning. Pretty long haul AND you have to go through a Border checkpoint which adds some time.

It's a beautiful piece of property and seemed to have a pretty good population of animals. You will enjoy this hunt.

Comment

Yeah it said no baiting when we drew the Big Satan unit years ago, then when we got there they told everyone they should have brought alfalfa bales, the aoudad are nuts for it apparently

Comment

Hunted it last year with my son, expect a great hunt, saw lots of deer and sheep. What we saw were the deer were mostly on the plateau and sheep in the canyons.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I can't wait to get out there!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
            Thanks for the info guys! I can't wait to get out there!!!
            I was drwan for the same hunt. Where are you staying?

Comment

The B&B just up the road

Comment

Don't bring beer, teetotalers...

Comment

Good luck on the hunt

Comment

My son drew the youth either sex deer tag for 12/27-12/30. We are really excited about it. Good luck and please give us a hunting report.

Comment

Working...
                    X