Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spanish deer.....

Comment

Vanilla is an old timers secret. Deer have a natural sweet tooth for things that smell sweet. Look at thier diet of fruits and vegies. When I was very young, my grandfather told me he used to use it as did his father. I also remember reading some articals in F&Stream about some of the staff trying it when I was in my early twenties. The first time I ever used it was back in the eighties. I had a doe come running right at me with her nose in the air till she got within 4 feet of me. Then she realized I was there and slammed on the breaks, got up and walked away confused. I had soked my hunting garments in it for 3 days before that hunt.

I have since used it in many ways, and have found it to be mostly an attractant. I also beleive that because it smells so strong, it helps reduce the human oder, hence a cover scent. I dont' beleive you have to spry it on you to get them to come or cover your scent. Just place on the bushes around you or where you want the deer to be. Once in that local, they dont' seem to mind that I had walked through there and carry on like most deer do.

I have tried putting it on corn. I don't no why, but they will not eat the corn that has it on it. So now, to get deer into a location fast, to help find my corn I put down, or get them into an area that I'll be hunting in the next day or two, I walk around and put it on various bushes, trees and shrubs. They will then begin to visit the area quickly and someitmes over night! If you have big feeders up, putting up a new feeder, or any feeder for that mater, spill some on one of the legs and see if they dont' begin to use it

BTW, I can't stand the smell of vanilla. To sweet for me. But if it draws in the deer I can hold my nose

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        How in the hail does vanilla cover your scent? Do deer like Blue Bell? or is it just something that doesn't bother them?
        I'm with you, this sounds a lot like sprayin' WD40 on yer bass plugs....

Comment

All the naysayers of the vanilla trick are missing out

Comment

Someone told my dad about this trick years ago and we've been using is since. The "mexican" vanilla is more pure from my understanding and the smell may be stronger.

Instead of the spray bottle we just use old film canisters w/ two cotton balls inside. Pour the vanilla in the canister and the cotton absorbs and holds it... no mess. When hunting just open the canister and set next to you.

Not sure why or how it works but have had deer walk dead down wind, stop, sniff around, and just go about their business.

Comment

And just think, once you are finished hunting you can take a few swiggs of the pure vanilla, hear the old wine-o's use to drink it. Cheap drunk.!

Comment

Working...
              X