X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
    I got a wolf on cam a few years ago. My uncle confirmed it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Yea.. That is no coyote. That looks exactly like the big ones I see here on the coast(Brazoria county). Great pic..

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
      I got a wolf on cam a few years ago. My uncle confirmed it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Your pic looks identical to a 100% pure Red Wolf.. Not a hybrid of some sort.
      This is a Pure wolf pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you shot a red wolf hybrid or even accidentally shot a red wolf that'd probably land you in deep doo doo wouldn't it? Although they're supposedly not there. I don't know how that'd turn out.

What I do know is if anyone here has ever shot a 60+ pound coyote I really have my doubts that it was 100% coyote. Not saying it isn't possible but if I were betting I'd bet it was a hybrid of some kind or another.

Comment

"he escaped" yeah thats the ticket!

Comment

If he isn’t full blood wolf he dang sure is part .

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              Yes we do have some really big ones from time to time. They look Very similar if not exact to the Red Wolf too.. At least the ones I've seen..
              How do you know they aren't red wolves?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

My Mammalogy prof was confident that the Red Wolf had all but been eliminated through hunting and inbreeding with the yote. This was back in the late 80s. I guess you never know.

Comment

Doubt we will ever see the DNA results.

Comment

A few pics from my brother. He has shot several coyotes that were 50+lbs here in North Texas. Some of those dogs had really pretty dark coats and others looked like your standard coyote. I doubt there are any Red Wolves left in the wild, but like other folks have said, due to cross breeding between both species, some genetic traits pop up from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Guys, I am not taking sides here but I started trapping in the 1960s and more seriously during the 1970s and 80s, and caught many coyotes from east Tx, central Tx, and from the hill country. I don’t think any two looked exactly alike. They ranged from small to very large, from pale to very dark with a myriad of color variations. I know I would not be confident in distinguishing some coyotes from red wolves or high degree hybrids. I bet very few experts would tell you they are able to easily discern the difference simply by visual comparison 100% of the time. I don’t know how any of you can be so confident on this issue one way or the other simply by casual observation. I will tell you from experience that the biologists that have expertise in this field or regarding any scientific issue do not make judgement (or policy) calls off the cuff or in a vacuum. They rely on science and data gained from numerous reputable and scrutinized studies. For example, regarding the red wolf project, the data consists of morphological data (size, skull measurements, color, etc.), recorded howl acoustic patterns, and of course DNA. Therefore, conclusions, declarations, policy, etc. (such as extinction declarations) are based on sound science and typically tons of data, and usually from a consensus of scientists in a given field. So I wouldn’t be too eager to dismiss the prevailing opinion or conclusion of the “experts”.

Can there be error in science? Sure! However, just because something may look more like one species than another doesn’t make it a high likelihood that it is. Just look at the species Homo sapiens, do we all look similar? I’ve seen some folks that look a whole lot more like H. neanderthals than H. sapiens. While it has been recently found that many of us non Africans carry residuals of Neanderthal genes, as coyotes carry residual wolf genes, we are still clearly H. sapiens. In a recent Smithsonian article, it described the findings of a recent study whereby it was determined that individuals having ancient Neanderthal genes possess elongated skulls, characteristic of the Neanderthals. So, while a large, strange colored coyote may resemble a red wolf, that doesn’t make it so alone. Point is, without DNA or some other strong morphological evidence, it may be impossible to know. The experts are clearly more expert than not in most of these cases.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                        Guys, I am not taking sides here but I started trapping in the 1960s and more seriously during the 1970s and 80s, and caught many coyotes from east Tx, central Tx, and from the hill country. I don’t think any two looked exactly alike. They ranged from small to very large, from pale to very dark with a myriad of color variations. I know I would not be confident in distinguishing some coyotes from red wolves or high degree hybrids. I bet very few experts would tell you they are able to easily discern the difference simply by visual comparison 100% of the time. I don’t know how any of you can be so confident on this issue one way or the other simply by casual observation. I will tell you from experience that the biologists that have expertise in this field or regarding any scientific issue do not make judgement (or policy) calls off the cuff or in a vacuum. They rely on science and data gained from numerous reputable and scrutinized studies. For example, regarding the red wolf project, the data consists of morphological data (size, skull measurements, color, etc.), recorded howl acoustic patterns, and of course DNA. Therefore, conclusions, declarations, policy, etc. (such as extinction declarations) are based on sound science and typically tons of data, and usually from a consensus of scientists in a given field. So I wouldn’t be too eager to dismiss the prevailing opinion or conclusion of the “experts”.

Can there be error in science? Sure! However, just because something may look more like one species than another doesn’t make it a high likelihood that it is. Just look at the species Homo sapiens, do we all look similar? I’ve seen some folks that look a whole lot more like H. neanderthals than H. sapiens. While it has been recently found that many of us non Africans carry residuals of Neanderthal genes, as coyotes carry residual wolf genes, we are still clearly H. sapiens. In a recent Smithsonian article, it described the findings of a recent study whereby it was determined that individuals having ancient Neanderthal genes possess elongated skulls, characteristic of the Neanderthals. So, while a large, strange colored coyote may resemble a red wolf, that doesn’t make it so alone. Point is, without DNA or some other strong morphological evidence, it may be impossible to know. The experts are clearly more expert than not in most of these cases.
                        I couldn't agree more

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Killed an East Texas red wolf a few minutes ago. Pics coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                            How do you know they aren't red wolves?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                            Oh I believe that they are.. Or at least a high percentage of wolf in them. The only way that could happen(a high percentage)this day and age is for the red wolf to still exist..

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                              They have them at the Rim if you ever want to check them out. I've photographed them a few times over the years.

https://fossilrim.org/animals/red-wolf/
                              Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Glenrose Texas has an excellent program. And those folks do wonders as well.

Here's one more link to what they are trying to do for the Red Wolf population with Red Wolves at Fossil Rim. I've known about it for a very long time.
                              "Fossil Rim has been a breeding facility for the Red Wolf SSP since 1989 and has produced 31 pups as of 2018. These wolves are housed in the Intensive Management Area and can be viewed on the Behind-the-Scenes Tour."

And here's a little info on the Mexican Gray wolf they are doing there.

Mexican gray wolves are the smallest gray wolf subspecies, and were once found in the southern US and Mexico. They are critically endangered.

Comment

update! looks like they move into Galveston co.....https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ast-Texas.html

Comment

Working...
                                X