When you practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you practice

do you practice at 20,30,40 etc or do you, say know where 40yds is, and just shoot somewhere in between? I think if u just shoot, it would help u know where your bow hits at different distances. I shoot one fixed pin sighted in at 25, but practice out to 40 some.

So, how do u practice?

I shoot at 10,20,30,40,50 yards right on the money. However, I always hunt with a rangefinder and pre range where my shots would be at before hand so I generally have everything down and dead on.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineRR View Post
      I shoot at 10,20,30,40,50 yards right on the money. However, I always hunt with a rangefinder and pre range where my shots would be at before hand so I generally have everything down and dead on.
      ^^^ this ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by YLEKeyeOT View Post
        ^^^ this ^^^
        X2 also shoot in between like at 23 yards or 27 yards just so when it's game time I'm prepared for anything.

Comment

I do most of my practices at 30yd. I do also shoot at very close from a sitting position, 5 yd are so.

Comment

i shoot from 20 to 30 yds mostly and occasionally ill change it up and shoot 40.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineRR View Post
              x2

Comment

You should mix it up, so you know the hold over/under with your single pin.

Comment

I set the pins and runs checks at specific distances but practice where ever I stop. I also do this WITHOUT a rangefinder to prep myself for the times I can range it first. (which is more often than not) if I don't hit like I feel like I should I then range it to see if my estimated distance was wrong. I have a handful of animals on the wall that wouldn't be there had I had to range it first.

Comment

I practice like I would be hunting the spots I hunt I have been huntin since I was knee high to a grasshopper so I know where these deer travel and where my shot oppourtunitys will be. And I know the distance as well so I practice at those distances. and yeah I have a 50yrd pin but idk if i will ever use it hunting so I dont practice very much at 50 yrds. My shots happen at 36-40yrd and in.

Comment

I shoot 20, 30, 40 & 50. Try to shoot more at 50 because it makes those 20's seem like chip shots.

Comment

I've been in a three week habit of shooting 25-30 arrows every morning before work at 60 yards standing.. Then every night I go out and shoot 10-15 arrows sitting in a blind chair at 30 yards.. When I'm sitting at night I switch up shooting with the bow on one side of my legs and then shooting some with the bow between my legs (I find it harder to hold more still). I also try and aim at different spots every time I shoot.. For some reason I find just by changing up the spot I'm shooting it makes me concentrate more.

Starting later this month I will go to shooting NOTHING but deer 3d targets until season.. I think that gets me used to looking at the shape of a deer and picking the spot, as opposed to having a preset spot like on a block.. I also practice putting my pin low on the front leg and tracing the leg up with my pin till I get to the spot I want to shoot.. It's super helpful to me!
                        Last edited by Leftridge; 08-09-2012, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Good advice leftridge!

Comment

Thanks everybody

Comment

I generally practice from 20, then moving out to 30, then to 40. As the season gets closer, I will concentrate on practicing from 40. It seems to make the 20 yard shot very easy. I also practice off of a bucket & off a ladder.

Comment

Working...
                              X