No announcement yet.

Old Mexico 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well i have been covered up with work and life, but now I finally have a bit of time to write up a summary of the season.

My wife and I welcomed our second child, and first son, in late September (I know, elk season is permanently impacted until he is old enough to go with me) so my hunting time would be limited this year.

I managed to block off time from December 15-23 to make a good trip down to the ranch. I hunt with a few other TBH members on our ranch, and one had already tagged out on a nice high 160s buck on opening weekend. Three other lease members killed nice bucks over thanksgiving, including a 133” 6 point and a 153” 8 point. We had also lost one buck that we couldnt recover, So we were having a really nice season as a lease and I was chomping at the bit to get down and hunt some.

I killed my buck on the 7th day, after passing on him the 2nd day. He had a 6-7” tine broken off, but I decided to take him in spite of that. He is a dang fine trophy, my best buck to date (157”), and I am tickled pink with him. Making even better, I got to share the hunt with my dad, my dads best friend and his son (my oldest hunting buddy....30 years hunting with him).

I also got to see quite a few really nice up and comers that we decided would get 1-3 more years. The future is bright!

Below are some pics from my hunt.

Had a nice campfire to end the season. The feed is out now, and we are focused on growing some more great deer for years to come. I am blessed to be on a great lease with awesome members, all of whom i am lucky to call friends and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome deer shag!! Ugh can it be November already!

Comment

nice buck sir

Comment

Stud congrats

Comment

Congrats on season shag

Comment

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

5.5 year old?

Comment

That deers prolly 7.5+

Comment

Thanks guys. We had him as 7+ on the hoof, and when he hit the ground we though his teeth showed that of a 7 year old. Being our first year on the place, we were pretty cautious with what we decided to shoot. Teeth wear is an inexact science, but it is definitely a starting point.

We felt comfortable that this buck was 7 when it was all said and done, which is our management goal.

Comment

I am in a scout troop in the National Guard and got called up on Thursday and on the border by Saturday. Pretty ironic to be sitting on an OP on the river not far from where I cross to go to the ranch. I just hope they dont keep me too long so that I can get my rifles out.

Comment

Originally posted by munchie View Post
                        I am in a scout troop in the National Guard and got called up on Thursday and on the border by Saturday. Pretty ironic to be sitting on an OP on the river not far from where I cross to go to the ranch. I just hope they dont keep me too long so that I can get my rifles out.

That would be crazy. Stay safe man and thanks for your service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by munchie View Post
                          Just go get em on your lunch break lol but thanks for your service

Comment

That's a Wrap. 2019-2020 Thread Has Been Started

Comment

Working...
                            X