Cable Railing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable Railing

I asked for some help in getting some things off my winter/spring punch list and this was one project. Wife wants to modernize the pool area (see wrought iron rail on ground). Several offers to help and kingranch convinced me any time saved in initial fabrication off site would be lost in tweaking it with elevation change etc. from post to post. He was right and I started off yesterday morning working in the rain hoping it would stop in the afternoon to allow welding. I worked on layout of the baseplates and getting those secured as it rained and ran my string for post heights and cut them. 3" 5.7lb. I-beam will but a strain on the ol' Dewalt chop saw.

I had several questions and pms about using I-beam as compared to square tubing; however, I like the fact that there cannot be water penetration and really like the more industrial look.

I thought it would be a 2 day project, especially in the rain, but welding was fast and I got adequate penetration with the little Hobart maxed out. Knocked it out in a day.

The I beam is capped with 3" x 1" tube and think it turned out great. It won't be fun drilling all of the holes for the cable as compared to doing the same on the press, but once I got the posts installed I had very little room to deal with removing hardware due to post/beam placement and told myself it is what it is. However, one benefit of the material used, as compared to square tube, is drilling is a bit more forgiving.

I thought about using round stock to complete the industrial feel, but decided to stick with cabling. Haven't selected a source yet, but am leaning towards Jakob Rope System. Will update when I finish; but I have been known to start projects and then start another without completing the first (hence my wife's angst). Even had time to drink a girly beer as the sun set. Not a bad rainy day of welding. Like Hank Jr., I'm against fishing (and welding) in the rain, but sometimes you have to do so.

Probably won't get a lot of traction here, but do think it will look good in some applications.
    Attached Files

Looks great, and there's nothing wrong with a good blonde!!

Comment

Working...
    X