No announcement yet.

Official Davy Crockett 2014-2015 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following. Didn't know there was a 14/15 thread yet for the davy.

Know the young does were in last weekend. A few fellow hunters got a doe a each (meat hunters) We had young bucks everywhere and a few more almost "mature" added to the pool. Sunday morning with the ice on the ground made us watch deer almost every 30 minutes for most of the day. Very unique gun opener weekend.

Wonder when the mature does will start. I wasn't seeing any mature does being chased, only youngins. Headed back up the 3rd and 5th weekends and crossing my fingers. Got a new dandy 12 with split brows checking the ladies but he never crosses the davy fence under 50 yards though... (I hunt private property next to the Davy)

Still trying to edit some video footage of the bald eagle I got on last Friday to get on here.

Gar, when you want that steak? =)

Comment

Next wed/Thurs looks nice Imo

Comment

Wondering how the forest roads are after all this rain. Particularly 509 in Alabama Creek.

Oh, and the camp roads/loops???

Comment

Ive taken 2 does the youth i took shot a doe and another youth who was with us during the youth weekend shot a 4.5 yr old 8 point grossed 134 netted 132 5/8 3 weeks ago i let a buck estimated in the mid 120 s to low 130s walk he was a 3 year old. our group which consits of my friend phil and his 2 grandsons have seen alot of deer. with the exeption of phil we all have deer down. we worked hard scouting in the off season and its paid off.
          509 is passable i have an old Dodge 2 wheel drive and i am ok roads 510 a and b may be a different story or if you go down 509-C you may have a tough time getting up the red clay and sand hill

Comment

This is taylors big 8 he scouted with us but in 100s of miles in the off season, he had the chance to take does but he opted to wait he took this opening day of youth season by 8am we had this buck out

ive posted picture of my 2 does and the youth hunter i took. he shot his doe opening day on the evening sit. been a great year for us 16 of 19 hunts so far ive had deer in bow range, ive let 6 shooter bucks walk taken my does just waiting for something bigger then 152 that is my personal best. they are there as ive seen them may shoot an older spike but not a yearling spike.

Comment

I've hunted davy crockett for the past 7 yrs. this archery season was slow. i got a doe on the last day. opening rifle i was tired of sitting and waiting and decided to try my luck at still hunting. 4 hours and 3miles later i shot a ral nice 10point in a thicket. I'm now ate up with still hunting. i saw 20+ deer from 9 to 9:30. it was great. they were all 30 yards or closer to me. I'm waiting for the pics to upload and i will post them. I've shot multiple bucks over the years, but nothing as big as my brother in laws 160' two years ago. i will post pics of that one too. give me about 30 min.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                I've hunted davy crockett for the past 7 yrs. this archery season was slow. i got a doe on the last day. opening rifle i was tired of sitting and waiting and decided to try my luck at still hunting. 4 hours and 3miles later i shot a ral nice 10point in a thicket. I'm now ate up with still hunting. i saw 20+ deer from 9 to 9:30. it was great. they were all 30 yards or closer to me. I'm waiting for the pics to upload and i will post them. I've shot multiple bucks over the years, but nothing as big as my brother in laws 160' two years ago. i will post pics of that one too. give me about 30 min.

Here is my brother in laws 160"

Comment

That 160 is awesome! The young man's 8 is a great deer too! Tall tines on his 8.

Comment

the big 8 was 4.5 years old, i let one walk a little bigger then taylors it was a 10, the spot where taylor killed his his grandfather (Phil) my hunting buddy had a 10 that came in that dwarfed taylors. ive seen that big 10 several times when scouting Phil had him at 30 yards was 20 feet up a ladder stand but he was above the canopy and couldnt get a shot, so 2 days before youth season they moved a groundblind in and taylor got his shot at 80 yards, the young man hunted hard during bow season had many chances at does but wasnt settling for a doe since he got drawn dor an extra doe tag. his patience won over, kudos to the young man passing on does to get something he wanted, i had to get my does for meat now im hunting for something i want

Comment

thanks howie. Nice deer by all of you.

I'm headed that way as of now! Leaving the house this minute. Be there in about 3 hours.

Comment

Awesome Howie! You definately know your stuff. You remind me of my best friend "bow hunting mentor". He taught me if it's not bigger than what I have on the wall, let it walk.
                        Hoping to get a good buck out of the DCNF this year, I've been south off of Trevat.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

Here are the pics of the 10 point o got this year! My son got to put his hands on his first set of antlers.

Comment

nice bucks, luckily ive killed enough deer this year makes my 80th deer taken with a bow, if they arent a mature animal i wont take them let them walk and let somebody else make that decision, i see what letting a deer age does helps the heard and overall the bucks are much better then 10 years ago, now i routinely see mature bucks in the past you may see a couple a year i was agains the 13 inch rule at first as i strictly bow hunt only but seeing the benefits of management im all for it

Comment

Very Nice bucks! Congrats to all.

Comment

Originally posted by howie1968 View Post
                                nice bucks, luckily ive killed enough deer this year makes my 80th deer taken with a bow, if they arent a mature animal i wont take them let them walk and let somebody else make that decision, i see what letting a deer age does helps the heard and overall the bucks are much better then 10 years ago, now i routinely see mature bucks in the past you may see a couple a year i was agains the 13 inch rule at first as i strictly bow hunt only but seeing the benefits of management im all for it
                                Well said! I'd like to sit down with you sometime and buy you lunch, pick your brain a bit if you wouldn't mind?

Comment

Working...
                                X