LBJ national grasslands 07-08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBJ national grasslands 07-08

Since it looks like the old on got axed I'll start a new one. Should have some trail cam pics to post by the end of the week.

What kind of crowds do you guys see on opening weekend of bow season. I have hunted general season the last 2 years out there and this will be my first bow hunting experience. I bought my bow in february and have been waiting for Sept. 29. Just curious what to expect. Thanks.

Comment

Last year was my first year for bowhunting after hunting LBJ during the gun season for a few years. I spent the morning driving around counting vehicles instead of hunting. I quit counting at 64 vehicles, if that is any indication. But that is just my count in 2 hours of driving.

Comment

I hate to say it but opening bow season is probably even more crowded than opening gun season! But you have to remember first and foremost, there ARE alot of deer at LBJ.
        The whole trick and nothing but the trick is to FIND that one spot (or 2 spots) away from the crowd........it's 20,000 acres.....!!
        Jeez........it should be easy shouldn't it>!
        There are tons of sections to hunt that NO ONE goes into....and that's the trick......that and ankle express to find it!

If FROGGY is still meeting us at VV Saturday morning about 9:30, I plan on being there to help with some clean up and pick up around the area, at least till my old, tired hips\legs\butt\back\arms\hydration can hold out.......
        If he doesn't show, I'm going to do it anyway!
        Pat

Comment

If thats this Sat Im going to have to miss out...dang! Have an appointment to keep,sure would like to meet some of you guys and place a face as Im going to be doing trad at LBJ for the rest of my life. Used to hunt there years ago and ended up paying the cash to hunt with family on leases and we ended up getting busted up this yr and I REFUSE to pay that kid of money

Comment

Yeah it's this weekend and I"m going to be there even if nobody else shows up! Plus I still have 2 places I want to do some low impact scouting of prior to next weekend!
            When you do come out just do a drive around looking for TBH stickers---there's a bunch of them out there!

Comment

Valley View

Is Valley View unit 31 or the big unit @ TDRA Point? I need more info 'cuz I confuse myself sometimes and what some call VV may be another to another.

Comment

Response

Since there was only one, (thanks Pat), respondent, I'll pass on the meeting tomorrow unless we have more "volunteers" who post by early in the morning that they'll be there.

Comment

I'll be there if I can find it. If ya'll see some lost dude driving around in a VW bus, wave me down. THANKX Barn

Comment

Well Froggy-----Barn started without me (I was late!) But we worked and gathered a bunch of stuff on the county road leading into VV and also the FS road leading towards Cottonwood Lake and past little Cottonwood Lake....I've still got it in my truck as the garbage bins at Black Creek Campground weren't there. We made a dent in it!
                    If you're in the office Friday mid day I plan on stopping by to say Hey and buy a new map! (Plus I have some questions!)

Comment

HIGH FIVE for Pat and Barn! Wish I could have made it myself. I havent been out there much in the past couple of months and was usually training my dogs but always picked up my trash,unlike others I guess

Comment

Volunteers

Pat and Barn,

Thanks for ya'lls help out there. Feel free to dump any trash you pick up in the dumpster at the work center across from the rest area on Hwy 287.

I'll be in the office on Friday, Pat. Look forward to visiting with you.

Comment

Volunteers

Pat, It was an honor to meet my first green-screener face to face and a privilege to play the part of the conservationist by picking up someone else's trash with you and Sandy this past Saturday. Thanks for providing the bags and helping me with the stuff outside VV. I was glad to see only 3 snakes and didn't bring any ticks home with me for a change.
                          Thanks for spending time chattin' on the hill and for informing me about the cattle @ Cottonwood. I think I'll camp again this year @ Black Creek Lake where there have been no cattle roaming through camp. Since I'll start my hunt at the old Red Deer Archery range, Black Creek is a lot closer, and I won't have to get up as early as to get on stand at 0dark:30. I'll come visit you at your campsite and tell some lies by your campfire Friday or Saturday evening if it's ok with you.

Comment

Opening Weekend Campfire

If anyone is interested in hunting LBJ this year and don't know anything about the lay of the land, I would be happy to discuss potential hunting spots with you around my campfire. I am no expert, but I have been hunting up there for a few years. I will be camping at Black Creek Lake, which is off Old Decatur Road from Thursday thru Sunday opening weekend. Just look for my old VW Bus.
                            I also invite anybody who wants to, to come on by and share some lies too.
                            Don't be shy just because you don't know me or the grasslands. Come on by and share the campfire with a fellow TBH greenscreener....Just don't offer me any Copenhagen or Booze, (I'm tryin' to quit). ... THANKX ... Barn
                            Who all will be camping and where?

Comment

I'll be there Barn like I said......but I'm keeping it 'secret' for now!
                              I plan on pulling in Friday not long after lunch but first I"m dropping by the main office to buy a new map and visit with Froggy!

Comment

Working...
                              X