Lake Falcon deer lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Falcon deer lease

Leased a new property this year right near lake falcon about 20 miles south of zapata a couple miles down Los lobos rd toward the lake off hwy 83. Over 500 acres low fence great cover no cattle but water sources throughout (including lake) and hadn’t been hunted in years. Got the place a little late (June) but got blinds and feeders out all over the ranch immediately. Protein stations, trophy rocks and feeders throwin a bit of corn with cameras on all. 3 months later all pigs and javi’s. 1 lonely doe and 2 young bucks finally showed up at 1 feed station a week ago. That’s it for deer.
    I’ve hunted Hebbronivlle for years and have seen how activity can shut down during the hot summer and take off when it cools so not panicking yet.
    I really had hopes for a long term lease and I’m wondering if I missed something and leased an area that’s shot out (even tho my property hasn’t been hunted) or any unforeseen factors in my area are holding it back. Just myself on this place and looked forward to having this much ground to hopefully grow em best I can but I’d like some reassurance I’m in a good spot. Any input from anyone familiar with this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

First year on the place. Although I would be expecting to see a lot more than that myself. Sometimes it takes deer some time to hit the protein stations. I hunted Hebbronville for a time myself and deer didn't really hit the feeders very well either, but corn the roads and they were coming out of everywhere. Do you know who your neighbors are and what their shooting? Buy some duck dekes in case the deer thing doesn't work out.

Comment

Do you know for a fact it wasn’t really hunted? Lots of landowners and lease brokers like to throw that term around very loosely.

Comment

Even if the place is potentially “shot up” give it a year or two of very light pressure and see what happens. Maybe the neighbors shoot everything walking and you could be the buffet in a sanctuary. Sit on it a little and keep feed out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As long as its low fence, the bucks will come through. Doe's will find your feeders. The place I use to hunt down there was kinda the same. It though had been way over hunted for years. One of the reasons we got on it so cheap. Guys before us were subleasing spots. First year, just a couple does hanging around. By the time I got off the lease would have 10 - 20 doe's every morning. Our land owner had strict rules about killing doe's, because of the previous hunters shooting the place up, so they really stacked up. Bucks would be at the feeders sporadically. Once rut hit, the big boys would show up. Had a chance at a free range monster every year. Didn't always work out, but was all kinds of fun.
          Last edited by crawdaddct; 09-04-2018, 06:38 AM.

Comment

500 LF acres on the lake? Don't want to sound like an azz but either your neighbors ( especially if they're small tracts) or your ranch has been hammered in the past. You need a bunch of land down there to kill and grow quality LF whitetails...just my .02

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

“...hasn’t been hunted in yeeeeeaaaaarrrrs!”

Best lease sellin’ Line of bs ever.

Good luck!! I’m not seeing much now either but I know they’re around.

Comment

We have a lease just outside Zapata off 83 going towards the lake. Got set up in March, mostly hogs and javis, have some does that come in regularly as well as a couple young bucks. We were told the same line, hadn't been hunted in a few years. I half believe it as all the feeders that were left there had fallen over and were rusted out. That doesn't mean the land owner or his brother haven't hunted it. We'll give it some time and see what pans out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

buy a bunch of cheap game cameras, and 50# bags of corn, and put it out evrywhere and see what you get,maybe even some (cheap wire)cottonseed feeders going, we would dream of a lease in South Texas, you now have one

Comment

The hadn’t been hunted part did appeal to me but wasn’t a determining factor. A little hunting pressure isn’t a bad thing as long as it’s ethical. You never really know tho. Landowner a great guy but he doesn’t live there. There is hunting on 2 sides of me haven’t had a chance to meet em but I hear they are good hunters. All conjecture but one of those properties was trying to lease this land before I got it. Couldn’t get the funds together. That made me feel positive that they were trying to hunt this land they were familiar with. I’m sure it will turn out ok just a little nervous after months of empty cam surveys I guess. It has everything in my opinion to produce just gotta be patient and enjoy the ride. Hope to post some pics of deer soon!

Comment

i grew up hunting falcon-

i can tell you first hand they dont come to feeders.. I ran trail cams for yrs and nada- I road fed and had gobs of deer , killed a few really nice bucks and we even took a 14pt that scored near 140-150.. all low fence.

Give it a chance, once late dec rolls around you will have bucks roaming from other ranches i promise you
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by kingranch; 09-04-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

All set with road feeders. That’s prob next move. I’ll corn roads and glass from some of my elevated stands and scout em that way.

Comment

I hunted that area in 2010. Found the lease on Craigslist a friend on the owner was leasing it. It was a cheap quail lease. Not one deer was seen. No feral hogs either. Plenty of water and brush. 1200 acres also. We killed dove quail coyotes and javelinas. No deer. We bordered the town of Falcon Heights.

Comment

No shortage of pigs here. Actually I forgot when I toured the place the owner told me there were no wild pigs. I chuckled at the thought and they are indeed everywhere. In hindsight he didn’t have a lot of firsthand knowledge so a lot of what I was told may be a bit off. Still the place has great cover water and food. If I can recruit some doe groups anything possible down here. Mature bucks never show themselves down here until rut so if I can establish some homer does I’m in the game. That’s the battle I’m facing now tho is getting some does. Never faced that before lol. Maybe whackin some pigs and getting them nocturnal will help. Last resort is hog panels. That’s alwaus a chore. Hoped no cattle meant I could avoid that but maybe not

Comment

I have hunted that area, just cool your heals and be patient. Around December 15th it will be like someone flipped a light switch, and the next few weeks will be a lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X