Driving/Road help please Hwy 79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving/Road help please Hwy 79

I was wondering if anyone knows what kinda road 79 out of Round Rock up to Shreveport is. Is it a Four lane with decent speed limit, any hangups? She looks purdy good on Satellite view.

My usual route is 31 at Waco to Corsicana and Tyler to I-20
    Last edited by Johnny44; 08-07-2019, 04:36 PM.

Two lanes most of it, a few 4 lane spots. Lots of small town slow downs. Not sure on construction haven't been down past Palestine since last Thanksgiving.

Comment

I drove from Palestine to Round Rock back in June. Mostly just two lane as said above with 4 lanes primarily through the small communities/towns.

Comment

Roundrock to Shreveport will be about 5 1/2 hrs. on 79. If you come this way, when you get to Henderson, take 43 to Marshall and catch I 20. Save about 10 min. as 79 E out of Henderson has some road work going on.

Comment

Slooooooooooow from franklin through palestine. Good road though.

Comment

Lots of PoPo, good road except for all the small communities.

Comment

Used to drive from Henderson to Cedar Park a few times a year in the 80's and it was a 5 hour trip then. Lot of small towns between, if your in a hurry go with Google maps.

Comment

From Waco you're backtracking to get to 79, I'd just take 31 as most of the improvement construction is complete now. Lately I've been traveling to Waco from Tyler via Buffalo and off through the country on 164 past Groesbeck. Lots of that highway has a 75mph limit. If I'm heading to Taylor or Round Rock, I just take 79 and deal with all the single-lane roads and small towns. Scotty drives the Hwy 79 route from Taylor up to I20 all the time, he's the man to ask that question to.

Stu

Comment

Believe it or not I’ve got over 13,000 leisurely road miles under my belt from one side of the country to the other in less than two months and every time the device directions were MUCH slower in actuality eventhough most times shorter. I have discovered these hidden highways of no traffic and civility. I’m heading to Jacksonville Fl again and is faster than device directions going I-10 with a absolutely no hangups, traffic, or trying to time cities. Two weeks ago I left after other family members from down the street and made it five hours sooner. No Houston, No Lake Charles, No Baton Rouge, No Mobile Bay, No Pensacola. It was great !

Sounds like I might need to blow through Austin about 5:30 and just take 31 again.

Thanks Y’all

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                  Used to drive from Henderson to Cedar Park a few times a year in the 80's and it was a 5 hour trip then. Lot of small towns between, if your in a hurry go with Google maps.
                  Last edited by Johnny44; 08-07-2019, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
                    Lots of PoPo, good road except for all the small communities.
                    Yep especially in the little community of Oakwood. It’s a speed trap zone

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                      Slooooooooooow from franklin through palestine. Good road though.
                      What he said

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                        Believe it or not I’ve got over 13,000 leisurely road miles under my belt from one side of the country to the other in less than two months and every time the device directions were MUCH slower in actuality eventhough most times shorter. I have discovered these hidden highways of no traffic and civility. I’m heading to Jacksonville Fl again and is faster than device directions going I-10 with a absolutely no hangups, traffic, or trying to time cities. Two weeks ago I left after other family members from down the street and made it five hours sooner. No Houston, No Lake Charles, No Baton Rouge, No Mobile Bay, No Pensacola. It was great !

Sounds like I might need to blow through Austin about 5:30 and just take 31 again.

Thanks Y’all
                        I'm just the opposite, I always beat what it says and Google maps takes me on a bunch of back roads. The thing I like about it is it will adjust to traffic conditions.

Comment

lot of small town slowdowns and used to be lots of slowwwww oilfield traffic

Comment

Do not get on I-20. Road construction at the state line has had things jacked up for months. 79 will bring you to Greenwood which is past the problem.

Comment

I just went past the “one lane at LA border” today for the fifth time in three weeks without a hitch

Outside Helotes to Meridian in 10 3/4 hours

Comment

Working...
                              X