Anyone own and rent out a dump trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone own and rent out a dump trailer?

I am thinking about buying a medium duty bumper pull dump trailer and then rent it out when I’m not using it. Does anyone on here do that? If so what are the pros and cons? The reason I’m thinking about doing this is because a dump trailer is something I need a handful of times a year and there isn’t a place close by to rent one so I’m thinking there must be others needing one to rent from time to time.

I have multiple Pj's and rent them out regularly. Pro=$$$ Cons= Flats from the dump. Most people overload them. I have side extensions that are nice for carrying capacity of lights stuff but I am real careful of who gets to use that one. Very easy to overload it and to bend/dent the sides. Tarps don't last long. People tear stuff up...

Comment

I have never loaned a trailer out and had it returned undamaged. I would imagine renting it out would be worse.

Get some liability insurance to CYA if something goes sideway when someone is renting the trailer. People are idiots and trailers are dangerous. Especially dump trailers. Have you ever seen what a hydraulic failure can do to the human body when equipment drops? Gnarly!

Comment

Yes hydraulic failure is a scary thing. One of the things I was worried about was people overloading them, most folks don’t take weight into consideration when loading a trailer. I have considered upgrading to heavier floors and side walls but then the trailer would be a lot more heavier. BertramBass do you have a the renters sign some type of a contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post
          Yes hydraulic failure is a scary thing. One of the things I was worried about was people overloading them, most folks don’t take weight into consideration when loading a trailer. I have considered upgrading to heavier floors and side walls but then the trailer would be a lot more heavier. BertramBass do you have a the renters sign some type of a contract?
          No contract. I keep the trailers pretty tied up so no need to rent to the general public. The guys renting them are either people I know or my subcontractors. One of the trailers I drop off/pick up like a dumpster service would and also to run small loads of material. Mulch, loam, landscape rock, etc.

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you, I want one but don't need it often enough to justify.

Comment

I **** near bought a 16’ dump trailer last week. It was a dang good deal, and hard for me to pass up. I could use one on a semi regular occasion. This is kind of pertinent to my interests as well. I can’t find any decent dump trailers in our area to rent.

Comment

Can I borrow it

Comment

I rented them at Big Tex trailers. They rent for 150 day, 750/week but included weekends so a couple days free. Can also give a monthly break, and of course cash or credit card but always c.c. on file for damage issues.
                    16' with 7k axles will allow a 10k load and people will overload them at that.
                    Had a short contract to sign about responsible for damages.
                    You have to expect dents and dings and flats, those things are just part of it but charge for broken lights etc..

Comment

Thanks RattlesnakeDan.

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
                        Can I borrow it
                        You know you can. For a price 😊😊

Comment

I am in Sealy/Bellville area and can think of a couple of times I would have rented one if it was available

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
                            I am in Sealy/Bellville area and can think of a couple of times I would have rented one if it was available
                            That’s real close to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post
                              Thanks RattlesnakeDan.
                              Yes sir. I would and have thought about buying a couple different trailers for rentals. Can be good side income.

Comment

Working...
                              X