Crawfish etouffee' the easy way.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
    I'm way too far away to buy it. Is it any different than shelling whole crawfish and dropping in a blender? Head and tail?
    No, this is not something you can do on your own. It’s basically an industrial type operation. You can’t just peal the head to remove the calcified exoskeleton. The gills, mouthparts, and even the internal gastric structures are enclosed in hardened cuticles. It takes a special machine and process to separate eatable and non eatable parts. However you can make something very similar from whole crawfish by mixing the yellow “fat” (hepatopancreas) with minced tail meat. The fat imparts a sweat unique flavor and mixed with the juices and meat of the tail muscle can be used as an enhancer in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by 512robby View Post
      Ettouffe requires a roux.

No short cuts

The holy trinity oil and flour; with a beverage in hand.

That is the proper way.

God Bless the USA
      Amen! It takes a little time, but it's so worth it

Comment

I personally like cream of mushroom in mine

Comment

Originally posted by Rustled Again View Post
          I have tried the Golden Mushroom soup method and was very pleasantly surprised. It was great. Im a roux guy all the way but don't reject it until you try it.
          Had a girl bring some étouffée to work a few years ago. Several people including me thought it was one of the best that we had ever eaten. She didn’t tell us until we had finished that it was a version of this shortcut method.

I think she was smart enough not to tell us until we had finished. If she had told us up front.... it might have been not nearly as good.... with our preconceived expectations.

Comment

Tag

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
              No, this is not something you can do on your own. It’s basically an industrial type operation. You can’t just peal the head to remove the calcified exoskeleton. The gills, mouthparts, and even the internal gastric structures are enclosed in hardened cuticles. It takes a special machine and process to separate eatable and non eatable parts. However you can make something very similar from whole crawfish by mixing the yellow “fat” (hepatopancreas) with minced tail meat. The fat imparts a sweat unique flavor and mixed with the juices and meat of the tail muscle can be used as an enhancer in many ways.
              Got it

Thanks for the direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                It ain’t bad. Also taste good mixed in with a squirrel or deer gravy.
                A bowl of oatmeal with no milk or sugar "aint bad".
                A Digiorno frozen pizza "aint bad"
                A stick of celery and ranch dressing "aint bad".

Etouffee from a jar...…. or condensed milk.....

No thanks!
                Great etouffee is worth waiting for and getting a few pots and pans dirty.
                Just saying!!

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                  A bowl of oatmeal with no milk or sugar "aint bad".
                  A Digiorno frozen pizza "aint bad"
                  A stick of celery and ranch dressing "aint bad".

Etouffee from a jar...…. or condensed milk.....

No thanks!
                  Great etouffee is worth waiting for and getting a few pots and pans dirty.
                  Just saying!!
                  Thanks for the professional input. “From someone that never tried it”.

Just saying

Comment

I made this recipe this evening and it was dang good. I had a couple pounds of shrimp that needed to be used and I remembered reading this thread awhile back. I read a few versions of the same recipe before finding the article in the original post. I didn't follow the recipe exactly but close enough.

I used a whole bag of the pictsweet seasoning mix, a tablespoon full of minced garlic and a stick of butter. Once the vegetables were cooked until soft I added a can of golden cream of mushroom soup and a can of cream of shrimp soup. I added half a jar of sliced mushrooms to that and about 2 cups of water. Seasoned with Konriko creole seasoning because that is just what I grabbed first out of the pantry and added more garlic powder and a little more red pepper. I simmered all of that for about 30 min then added in 2# of peeled shrimp tails. I let that go until the shrimp was done and added the green onion. Served over rice.

It may not be how real cajuns do it but I am going to tell you it is very good and very easy. I have paid quite a bit for etouffee that wasn't as good as this in a few restaurants in Louisiana. If you can bring yourself to try it I think you'll be surprised.

This one will be repeated at deer camp this year for a quick and easy dinner on a cold evening.

Comment

Originally posted by coonazz View Post
                      Not me man. I don't doubt that it tastes good in its own way, but I just prefer making it from scratch - 100%.
                      Say it loud and proud brother

Comment

Saving this thread. Love etouffee

Comment

I do a similar quick etouffee recipe.

1 stick butter
                          1 bunch parsley
                          1 package of celery
                          2 cans rotel
                          2 cans cream of shrimp
                          2 bell peppers
                          2 jalapenos
                          1 onion
                          3-4 tbs of minced garlic
                          1 tbs garlic powder
                          1 tbs onion powder
                          1 lb of shrimp
                          1 lb of crawfish tails
                          Crawfish seasoning and salt to taste.

Chop all vegetables and cook down in big skillet with butter. Add your cans of soup and rotel cook some more. Add crawfish and shrimp and cook more. Serve over garlic bread or blackened fish.

Comment

sounds good

Comment

We used cream of celery at our restaurant.

Comment

Working...
                              X