How good is your paper plate accuracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good is your paper plate accuracy?

Can you put 20 arrows on a paper plate from 20 yards with your trad bow?

We'd all like to say: "All day, every day!" Now, you can do a little self-check for fun, and you might even get a small prize if you do it best.

We've all debated whether a 9-inch paper plate is too big to represent a "kill zone" on common game animals -- like deer. And, we've also discussed whether 20 yards is the right distance for us to make game shots. Of course, in the field that is each hunter's choice. But, maybe, as an exercise, putting 20 arrows on a paper plate is some kind of a check worth knowing. If you're not happy with the results at 20 yards, maybe limit yourself to 15 yards, or 13, or 12.

Anyone wanting to give this a try in a free and fun competition can follow this link for details and instructions:

Have fun! Choot 'em!

Forgot to mention that the Valentine challenge starts today (goes until Feb. 16)!

Happens that I won last year, and have kind of a neat prize lined up for this year's winner!
    Last edited by tradtiger; 02-10-2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Yeah I'm a 12 yard guy myself. [emoji106]

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Yeah I'm a 12 yard guy myself. [emoji106]

Gary
        Same here. I can put 20 in it at 12 and normally 18 or so of 20 at 15. At 20 it falls off a bit. Not bad, but enough that I wouldn't shoot at a deer that far. Now pigs, if I see one I'm flinging an arrow.

Comment

The paper plate thing was a real test at day leases back in the day.
          Honestly I don't know that I'll ever sling an arrow at a deer at 20. Maybe someday but so far 10 to 12 is my comfort zone.
          However that paper plate won't bleed so I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Gary

Comment

13 to 15 is my sweet spot, not to bad at 20 yds.

Comment

Hey, anybody remotely considering this challenge should just go over and check it out.

Shoot it!

I can tell you there's a pretty decent ( and useful) prize at the end of the rainbow, so to speak.

Anyone holding back because they MAY not shoot deer at 20 yards can rest easy. A paper plate won't bleed or suffer.

Advice: practice a little at 20 yards before trying the challenge.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

I let my shop membership slip, so I can only shoot out to about 17 in my yard. Fun challenge though, I think I'll try this out tomorrow or Wednesday for my own personal satisfaction!

I dang sure believe I can put 20 in a paper plate. Now I gotta prove it to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                  Hey, anybody remotely considering this challenge should just go over and check it out.

Shoot it!

I can tell you there's a pretty decent ( and useful) prize at the end of the rainbow, so to speak.

Anyone holding back because they MAY not shoot deer at 20 yards can rest easy. A paper plate won't bleed or suffer.

Advice: practice a little at 20 yards before trying the challenge.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
                  Gave it a try this morning after my failed attempt at this weeks FSC. I didn't make the minimum score of 60.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                    I let my shop membership slip, so I can only shoot out to about 17 in my yard. Fun challenge though, I think I'll try this out tomorrow or Wednesday for my own personal satisfaction!

I dang sure believe I can put 20 in a paper plate. Now I gotta prove it to myself.
                    I'm sure you can, Malachi! Thing is, you don't have to put all 20 on the plate due to the point scoring set-up. You can make qualifying by hitting the outside rim 20 times, actually. That negative 2 can hurt, though, for being off of the plate.

My 73 won it last year. Have a neat prize for this year's winner!

Comment

Alright, boys and girls, y'all need to get over and shoot that paper plate challenge. I just shot it as a fun round, and beat last year's score. (No pics for now.)

Git-er-done, y'all!

Comment

Just gonna say straight out: every trad shooter on TBH should go over to Rick's forum and shoot the Valentine's Challenge.

Rick has supported traditional archery for decades, and is one of the best archers around. Really not that hard to find a 9" paper plate and shoot 20 arrows from 20 yards.

I won last year with a 73, and am, therefore, not eligible to compete this year. For fun I shot and got a score of 85. However, you only need to beat 60 to qualify and be in the running. I can tell you that I would prefer to give the prize I have for the winner to someone familiar as opposed to someone unfamiliar.

Choot it! You have until tomorrow!

Gonna name names: Come on -- Gary, Bisch, CRM, Randy, Shiloh ... smiling when I say this, but come on, ladies......

Comment

Well, I found a deserted field this morning to try it out. The difference between a familiar 17 yard shot and a cold, foreign 20 yard shot is amazing. I called it a loss after my first four arrows missed the plate.

Just two days ago I went 20 for 20 at 17 yards in my backyard, wearing my hunting pack, and kneeling to boot.

Comment

I'm out. First of all I haven't bought any plates, second I've worked dark to dark almost all week and today I'm on the road. I've gotten very little practice in and it wasn't at 20 yards.
                            Next week ain't looking very fun either.

Gary

Comment

Well heck.

I'm going to sweeten the pot a little.

I'll shoot this later today (when it warms up a bit), and turn in my score over there.

My entry will not count in the competition.

BUT, if whoever wins beats my score,
                              I will throw in an extra prize to them to go along with tradtiger's prize.

Getter done.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X