String slap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String slap question

Can someone tell me if when the string slaps your arm, does it interfere with the flight of the arrow? Or has the arrow cleared the string by the time the string makes contact with the forearm? I stopped using my armguard and get slapped lightly sometimes and it got me to wondering if it's affecting my arrow flight.

Good question

Comment

Possible live string slap accuracy test thread with pics/video footage coming up? Id follow :-)

I'd think that the answer is no.
      Last edited by Rambow; 05-25-2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

If you are getting string slapped it's because the draw length of the bow is too long for you or you are using bad form. Just my. 02

Comment

I can't tell you if the string slap itself can cause problems. If the string is hitting your arm regularly, you will most likely begin to anticipate it and start flinching.

Bisch

Comment

I always get slapped with a longbow string. I could have a 7" brace or a 9" brace and I get slapped regardless. I just accept it. I don't think I have poor form. I'm pretty consistent and tend to shoot fairly well. But I have been able to tell a difference in arrow flight between using an armguard and not so I guess it happens before the arrow leaves the string. I would recommend using one. You can try incorporating a high grip with your elbow out and that may help. Other than that just use an armguard and let the bowstring slide off it.

Comment

I get slap when I shoot a low brace longbow. One thing to watch is you may tend to stick your bow arm elbow out further to prevent the string slap. I did that and took a half inch off my draw. Not sure if this is a bad thing of not...I've been shooting well and shoot all my bows with the half inch shorter draw.

Comment

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
                If you are getting string slapped it's because the draw length of the bow is too long for you or you are using bad form. Just my. 02
                Please explain your draw length theory as it pertains to trad bows.

Comment

Originally posted by bubinga View Post
                  Please explain your draw length theory as it pertains to trad bows.
                  My apologies. I didn't realize this was the traditional forum.

Comment

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
                    My apologies. I didn't realize this was the traditional forum.
                    I was just messing with ya, I forgot the smiley face.

Comment

I cant say I have ever noticed any flight difference when I get slapped. Now if im wearing a longsleeve shirt or jacket and my string catches the sleeve a I can tell that my flight is altered.

Comment

Hitting your arm with the string can be caused by

1. Too low of brace height.

2. Your grip especially on longbows.

3. If you are double jointed your elbow will bend into the string if you lock your elbow when you shoot.

4. If you shoot at a 90 degree angle to the target you will tend to hit your arm than if you shoot more towards a 45 degree angle.

Comment

I agree with everything M.E.B. stated above.
                          Also, Rod Jenkins, in Masters of the Barebow (DVD) teaches proper form and techniques to overcome hitting your arm.

Comment

Most common reason for string slap is from improper grip on the bow. Too deep a grip in the bow will put your forearm in the path of the string. Your grip on the bow should not be any deeper than your lifeline on your palm. You knuckles should be at about 45 degrees from the riser. Another reason for string slap can come from having your bow elbow rotated in. Your elbow should be vertical. If you were to bend your elbow, your fist should hit you in the center of the chest. If your fist lands anywhere near your face, your elbow is in the wrong position.

Good luck,
                            Edward

Comment

Another vote for checking your brace height

Comment

Working...
                              X