Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Going Elk Hunting in CO - Help Me With Gear Recommendations! (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last week I was invited to participate in a DIY Colorado OTC Elk hunt with my buddy, Adam (MooseOnTheLoose)! I decided I want to try to make a few videos for my YouTube Channel over the next few months leading up to the expedition, starting with gear recommendations.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW_kVqpHNc4"]Gear for DIY Elk Archery Hunt (?) - YouTube[/ame]
    Gear for DIY Elk Archery Hunt - This is a bit of an "experimental" video in that I want to solicit opinions from the YouTube community on recommended gear fo...

I will, of course, be researching through the multitude of threads on the topic on TBH, but feel free to post up your thoughts here or in the YouTube comments!
    My Flickr Photos

I recommend taking a nurse...

Comment

You'll have a blast. Good hunting!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
        I recommend taking a nurse...
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

I would say start with boots. Buy early and break them in. Nothing else matters if your feet hurt or you have blisters and can't hunt.

Then concentrate on layers of comfortable and quiet clothing.

Then you're pack and miscellaneous gear.

And of course fine-tune your archery equipment.

Comment

You are going on public land I assume? Will you be using an ATV to some extent then hiking in ?
            Others guys going with you? . What area of Colorado are you hunting ?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              I would say start with boots. Buy early and break them in. Nothing else matters if your feet hurt or you have blisters and can't hunt.

Then concentrate on layers of comfortable and quiet clothing.

Then you're pack and miscellaneous gear.

And of course fine-tune your archery equipment.

Thanks! My Lowas are comfy, but I have to resolve the "squeak" issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

In on this one. Ill will be in the exact same boat as you this year. DIY archery elk has been a bucket list hunt for me.

Comment

Lot of info here. Did you try the search function Mr.?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Thanks! My Lowas are comfy, but I have to resolve the "squeak" issue.

Definitely find a place to do some walking with your gear on and bow in hand. Depending on how y'all are going to hunt a bow sling may or may not be appropriate. On my last elk hunt I used a bee stinger stabilizer with a 45° swivel on it that allowed me to turn my stabilizer into a fairly comfortable handle for carrying my bow.

Make sure that your range finder is in the optimal spot for accessing it and using it with your bow in hand. Make sure your lanyard is long enough to secure it to a belt loop or something in case you just have to range a shot quickly and drop it.

Comment

Trade those old legs and back in for a pair 20 years younger

Comment

It’s simple.

Truck camping, no over the top necessities.

Backpacking...... it’s a game of money vs ounces. How light and expensive you want to go?

Comment

Camofire has some Mystery Ranch packs last week. I don’t think they sold out so it might be worth watching that site.

Like I mentioned Saturday at CCR, this year is my first elk hunt so I’ll be following along. We’ve been planning this for just over a year to allow time spread out the big ticket items, get into better shape, and really research our options for hunts (and e-scout the specific units we are interested in).

Just finished watching the video, I think you will need to remove the light from your stabilizer. I don’t use one, but I think I saw that’s a no-no in the Colorado regs.

I’ll go looking for it and will post a link once I find them.
                          Last edited by Army of Dad; 05-02-2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment

As Chew said, nothing is more important than footwear and don't skimp on socks. Buy the best glass you can afford.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              Definitely find a place to do some walking with your gear on and bow in hand. Depending on how y'all are going to hunt a bow sling may or may not be appropriate. On my last elk hunt I used a bee stinger stabilizer with a 45° swivel on it that allowed me to turn my stabilizer into a fairly comfortable handle for carrying my bow.

Make sure that your range finder is in the optimal spot for accessing it and using it with your bow in hand. Make sure your lanyard is long enough to secure it to a belt loop or something in case you just have to range a shot quickly and drop it.
                              I have my range finder on a short lanyard that keeps it tight to my chest, I can range my shot while my release is still clipped to my bow string. It works great and makes for very little movement and is always in the right spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X