RV Electrical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV Electrical Question

My father-in laws RV is having some sort of electrical issue. Everything will be working fine and he will turn on a light and it seems that the electrical power to the other lights, fridge, etc. will flicker for several seconds. Does anyone know what can cause this issue? Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts.

Is the happening while running on generator or plugged to panel? Sounds like a neutral issue.

Comment

I'd start by looking into the converter, most of the lights in a RV are D.C. lamps powered from the converter/ battery. Or at least that is where I would start.

Comment

Originally posted by PEC View Post
        Is the happening while running on generator or plugged to panel? Sounds like a neutral issue.
        It is plugged in to a 50 amp panel.

Comment

look at the panel, like Razorback mentioned.

Chances are, it's on it's way out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
            look at the panel, like Razorback mentioned.

Chances are, it's on it's way out.
            By "panel" do you mean the 50 amp power source panel or the electrical panel/breaker box in the RV?

Comment

Probably the converter.

Comment

The panel/ breaker box often has the converter built into it

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Thanks. I will look at the converter. Is there a way to test the converter? Sorry, l am an electrical idiot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
                    It is plugged in to a 50 amp panel.
                    Make sure the battery is good, even though you are using AC panel as supply the battery needs to be good for things to work properly.

Comment

I was having similar issues. I swapped out my converter and it solved the issue. Apparently the stock/OEM converters are junk.

Good news is that the hardest part of replacing the converter is finding it. Mine was behind the breaker/fuse box under the stove but different manufacturers put them in different places. If you can change a car battery, you can change a converter.

I am FAR from an electrical or RV expert but this is how I narrowed it down...After some googling

Disconnect the battery in the RV. Not the starter battery if it's a motor home, just the battery that runs the lights. This isolates the 12v system. The converter normally charges the battery and runs the 12v system (Lights, etc) so when you disconnect the battery, the converter is the only source of 12v electricity. I would suggest turning off the fridge and the AC thermostat while you test. Again, I don't know if it's necessary, but I wanted to be safe instead of sorry. RV fridges are expensive...

Now just turn on lights one switch at a time until all lights are on. Do existing lights get dim when you turn the next batch on? Do they go brighter and dimmer and brighter? Can you hear a whirring noise from the converter? If yes, that means you're not getting what I call "clean" power from the converter or just not enough power from it in general. Meaning it's struggling and needs to be replaced.

You can try the opposite too. Turn of the converter in the breaker box and leave the battery connected. Of the battery is good AND the converter has kept it charged, you should be able to turn on the lights without any flickering or significant dimming.

If it works on the converter but not on the battery, have your battery tested and replaced. If it works on the battery but not the converter, have the converter replaced. If it you're lucky like me, it won't work on the battery at all and does the bright/dim/whirring thing on the converter meaning you get to replace both! Good luck!

I ordered mine from Best Converter. If you do order online, be careful of the big retailers. Apparently there are knock off converters sold as if they were the actual brand there.
                      Last edited by BearsHunt; 03-21-2018, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I just ordered a new converter.

Comment

There are so many issues you can have with a trailer. Voice of experience here. I do not know how old the trailer is. You may also need to go check all the fuse holders in your low voltage distribution block (fuse holders). These are generally aluminum contacts / fuse clips. There are tiny aluminum rivets holding the fuse clips to the buss bar. Over time with moisture these connections can oxidize and corrode. Making them loose. This can cause intermittent issues, simply walking in the trailer can be enough vibration in these small contacts make and breaking the electrical connection and cause a flicker. Same issue can happen when you first turn on a switch. Hours of troubleshooting a flicker here. Purchased a new distribution block and problem solved. The converter was fine. Just bad corroded contacts in the distribution block.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X