What Choke for shooting clays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was invited to come to a trap shoot in a couple weeks and want some advice on what choke to start out with for a beginner. I’ve got a range nearby I plan on practicing some but what should I start with and any tips or suggestions to help out. Thanks in advance. If it matters I’m shooting a Beretta A300 and have improved, modified and full chokes.

I would think improved, but I’m sure someone with more experience will be along shortly to confirm or deny that ideer.

Comment

they make a skeet choke, but kind of hard to find. I prefer a modified w/ #8

Comment

Originally posted by texglocker View Post
        I was invited to come to a trap shoot in a couple weeks and want some advice on what choke to start out with for a beginner. I’ve got a range nearby I plan on practicing some but what should I start with and any tips or suggestions to help out. Thanks in advance. If it matters I’m shooting a Beretta A300 and have improved, modified and full chokes.

I way over thought this and bought a new choke after shooting a sporting clay tournament where I finished in the mid 70’s for my first time ever shooting. I asked for shooting tips from the range pro and found out I was left eye dominate but right handed. I tried shooting with my new choke and both eyes open vs closing my left eye and I shot in the 20’s. Shot my second tournament this year and went back to my original setup and shot a 84-86.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is it an actual trap shoot? If so I would imagine you would want a full choke since the clays get pretty far out.

Comment

Comp n choke makes chokes for beretta ranging from negative to full. I use them on my Benelli and love em.
            Attached Files

Comment

I shoot skeet in both barrels for trap but if you don't have that shoot your improved cylinder. You want your widest pattern out to about 40 yards max.

Comment

Originally posted by cranca View Post
                I shoot skeet in both barrels for trap but if you don't have that shoot your improved cylinder. You want your widest pattern out to about 40 yards max.
                What do you think about a skeet choke for dove?

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                  I haven used them for dove yet but I plan to this year! Had the same thought after sitting thru a sporting clays seminar and listening to a guy talk about chokes and choke patterns.

Comment

If you're shooting 16 yd trap, IC is plenty. If you're shooting handicap then you may want more. Is the range your referring to John Van Ausdall's? If so, I'm sure someone there can help you too. Just keep it simple and have fun.

Dave

Comment

Where are you shooting and is it a charity/fun shoot type deal or NCSA?

Sporting clays can change but most I know shoot IC or something close.

95% of our shooting team shoots light mod for trap. Ive seen trap targets that seem to fly 90 and some are much slower.

IMO both games are won by setting up for the target before the bird is called and gun movement. If you don't do that right chokes wont matter

Comment

IC will be the most forgiving, but I love to use light modified. Bring them all, that’s the beauty of interchange chokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Skeet is too open for trap, unless your skilled enough to shoot the target right out of the house. Serious trap shooters will tell you Mod choke is the best all around choke for trap. If you want to see powered targets, then Full choke.

I have the kids on the high school shooting team shoot Mod in practice. The top guns on the team, who shoot targets very quickly out of the house, will then open up to a light mod for competitions.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                            I have a buddy who does... He loves it and doesn't miss many if they are truly in range... that said I will crush him on long birds, he won't even take the shot a lot of the time.

After many hours down the rabbit hole I have decided I am shooting a Improved mod and a light mod in my over under from here on out and calling it good.

I shot a full a lot in college on HIGH whitewings in San Angelo but haven't than into that situation here much

Comment

For trap start with mod. Sporting clays you may changes chokes through the course. Skeet, skeet.

Comment

Working...
                              X