Anyone else play Draft Kings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else play Draft Kings?

Just curious if anyone else dabbles in it. I play $1-$5 games only and been having fun with it.

Read this article about the implosion of this type of betting and how it is rigged to benefit big time players.

http://http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17374929/otl-investigates-implosion-daily-fantasy-sports-leaders-draftkings-fanduel

If you still play after reading it, at least you will be better informed on your odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger Link View Post
      Read this article about the implosion of this type of betting and how it is rigged to benefit big time players.

http://http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17374929/otl-investigates-implosion-daily-fantasy-sports-leaders-draftkings-fanduel

If you still play after reading it, at least you will be better informed on your odds.

Thanks

Comment

I only play the $1-5 games , just something to have fun with like you said. Last year I did win about $300 but I gave it all back trying the more expensive games

Comment

Friend of mine playes it regularly claims he won over $60k last year. Don't have any reason not to believe him but I assume you have to risk a lot of money to win that much.

Comment

I play, not really serious about it but have won a couple bucks several times and I think 10 bucks once before. Maybe we can set up some head to head matches?

Comment

I play

Won $28 this past weekend. I think last year I won around $100-125 so no big money but keeps my interest in all of the games, and for me is fun

Comment

no matter what anyone says gambling is a losing proposition... You win time to time yes, add it up though over the long haul

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger Link View Post

Definitely gonna need the cliff notes version.

Two years ago, I was winning regularly. Just a couple hundred a week as I wasn't betting much. Last year, I took the same approach, same type of game, etc and lost 600 while scoring more points than last season on average. Then I said forget it. I wouldn't be surprised if something was fixed. It just didn't make sense to me. Or maybe I'm overthinking and just suck at fantasy football.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post

Two years ago, I was winning regularly. Just a couple hundred a week as I wasn't betting much. Last year, I took the same approach, same type of game, etc and lost 600 while scoring more points than last season on average. Then I said forget it. I wouldn't be surprised if something was fixed. It just didn't make sense to me. Or maybe I'm overthinking and just suck at fantasy football.
                    Bum hunting...

So I cobble together a team of players competing in that night's seven NBA games and post my lineup in a head-to-head contest for a $50 entry fee. Almost instantly -- it took six seconds -- my team is scooped up by a player named "condia." I don't know who condia is, or even what that word means, though a check of RotoGrinders breaks the bad news that condia is the No. 1-ranked NBA fantasy player in America. Somewhat despondently, I watch the games on NBA League Pass as my players are annihilated by condia's lineup by 80-plus points.

The next day, I tell Harber, the former high-volume player, how quickly and effortlessly condia had torched me.

"You got bum-hunted," he says with a laugh.

Excuse me?

"Bum-hunted. He had a crawler on the page, and it ate up your game," Harber says. Other players call the condias "lobby hawks," perched and waiting to pounce on rookies like me who show up in the lobby shopping for a head-to-head game.

Harber is still chuckling. "All these high-volume guys are archiving all the data to find out who is a good player or a bad player -- or a complete novice like you," he says. High-volume players are so sophisticated that their computerized scripts and other automated systems are often invisible to the sites, Harber and other high-volume players say, though the sites deny that. Some scripts are ones of convenience: allowing high-volume players to change hundreds of lineups to make a late substitution when a player is a last-minute scratch. Others are more predatory, scraping live data from the sites to target the worst of the losing players, the same trick mastered by professional online poker players.

For years, FanDuel had given quiet permission to customers who asked to use certain scripts, a request almost always made by their most valued, high-volume customers. DraftKings says it forbade the use of all automated tools before July 2015, but high-volume users say they routinely used such tools -- or knew others who did -- before then on the site. There was little or no transparency; sites refused to divulge the identities of players who were warned, suspended or banned for using predatory scripts or violating any of the sites' other ever-evolving terms and conditions. FanDuel says it has suspended thousands of customers. Says a DraftKings spokeswoman, "We do not reveal specifics about our user activity."

I soon discover that condia isn't just a famous, prolific and high-stakes player, he's also pretty widely disliked by the regulars. As far as I can tell, he's disliked not because he plays so much but because he wins so much. He is renowned for trolling the sites' lobbies for every kind of action, including games for as little as $3, despite having a prodigious bankroll in the high six figures.

Condia's real name is Charles Chon, and he is a self-deprecating 30-year-old who lives in Denver and majored in accounting at Colorado State. A few months after I join DraftKings, I tell Chon about our instant head-to-head matchup and how effortlessly he hoovered my $50.

"I'm sorry, man," he says, squeaking out a laugh. "It was just me finding you in the lobby. I like playing the smaller players because it's easy money -- it's like free money for me. I mean, why wouldn't you take it? There have been times when I tried to get action against anyone I could, including newer players. I probably got you for that reason."

Chon denies the persistent accusations on the RotoGrinders message boards that he has cheated by using scripts and other technological edges to find and bankrupt lousy players. "I always try to play by the rules," he says. "I know some other guys don't."

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post

This excerpt talks about how the big money players can "beat the odds"

LIKE ANY POKER website or online bookmaker, DFS companies need two vastly different types of players to keep depositing money. Small-stakes players were needed to join -- and continue playing -- but the high-volume players, some of whom entered thousands of lineups in hundreds of contests a night, had become the sites' most reliable cash machines. The companies, whose total revenue last year was $280 million, make their money in the same way horse tracks and poker rooms do -- by taking a 6 percent to 15 percent cut, or "rake," of players' wagers. The higher the betting volume, the more the sites get to keep.

By some estimates, 60 percent of the daily fantasy industry's revenue comes from the roughly 15,000 high-volume players wagering at least $10,000 a year. Nearly 50 players, most of whom are savvy, analytics-driven professionals, each wager at least $1 million a year. And some go even higher: Two sharks played hundreds of high-stakes heads-up NBA contests during the homestretch of the NBA's 2014-15 season. After 20 consecutive nights, one of the players had lost nearly $2 million.

The winner of that binge was "maxdalury," who is really Saahil Sud, a late-20s former data scientist who lives a few blocks from DraftKings' Boston headquarters. A 2011 graduate of Amherst College with degrees in math and economics, Sud is a daily fantasy pro notorious for entering hundreds of different lineups in every big-money contest -- and some modest-sized ones. For the deep-pocketed player, this strategy is expensive, of course, and so is the exposure. But your chances of winning improve exponentially with 900 lineups in a field of 35,000 when most players have one or two. Sud was also a prolific user of computerized scripts. In one NBA DraftKings contest in which he entered 400 lineups, Sud's last-minute, scripted swap of veteran Magic big man Channing Frye for late-scratched center Nikola Vucevic helped him win an estimated $500,000.

"It's only a skill game if you have the biggest bankroll and the best technology," says John Sullivan, 50, a former FanDuel consultant who quit playing high stakes after becoming disenchanted with the lopsided ecosystem. "That's the dirty little secret."

One of the more extreme examples of this phenomenon happened in DraftKings' $1 Million Mega Payoff Pitch contest on May 26, 2015. Sud posted 888 baseball lineups at $27 per lineup. He destroyed the field, scooping up the first-place prize of $100,000. His lineups finished in five of the top 10 spots. Twenty-nine of his lineups placed in the top 100, and 454 of his 888 lineups made money. With a $23,976 investment, Sud won more than $221,000.

An analysis of that contest's results shows the futility of entering a handful of lineups -- even as many as 90 -- in any big-jackpot contest. Nearly all players who entered fewer than 100 lineups finished with a negative return on investment, most in the double digits. Even those who entered more than 25 lineups (costing at least $700) but fewer than 100 lineups had ROIs of minus-22 percent to minus-27 percent. Of the 21 players who posted more than 100 lineups, Sud and two others had a profitable night.

Regular, smaller-stakes players weren't blind to the winning methods of sharks like Sud, and they weren't shy about complaining.

Comment

I play but on fanduel in friends mode. I only play against my 2 closest friends at $5 a week. It's all about the competition for us

Comment

The cliff notes version (I haven't even read it but I bet I'm close) is that this is not as much a game of luck as it is a game of knowledge and preparation for some. I'll keep this as short as I can but basically, there are 3 or 4 different types of games but the main 2 are tournaments and 50/50's.

Tournaments a.k.a. GPP's: Lot's of people, low entry fee, really big prize drawing your attention ($1m to 1st place on a $3 entry but there's 500k entries). It is very hard to get into the money here. As in you have to finish in the top 10% to make $6 and double your money. The guys that are making a living on daily fantasy put 10% or so of their entries into these tournaments.

50/50's or "Cash" games: This is where the serious players spend most of their money. You bet a dollar, finish in the top half and double your money. The serious players will spend 80% of their daily entries here. The guys that really understand return value on players and have done their homework, hours and hours worth of homework, will almost always finish in the top half and double their money. Cash games is where they steadily grow their bankroll.

The guys making a living at this are betting10-20% of their current bankroll everyday and that is typically thousands of dollars and over a hundred lineups/entries. Over 80% of their entries are in cash games. This keeps their bankroll steadily growing and the few times a year they hit on a tournament is the gravy. Speaking of tournaments, these same guys almost never play in the big tournaments with hundreds of thousands of people with a shot at a million dollars on a $3 bet. No they play in the tournaments that are $10-$27 entry with 5-25k people. These tournaments have a higher probability of taking 1st place and while that may not be $1m payout, it can still be $50k or more.

Point is, the millions of people that play every day and do no research, bet $20 just for fun... those are the people they are taking advantage of.

Comment

I used to play a few of the cheaper games; i.e. $10 per team or less. However, I quit playing before last football season as I caught wind of some of the stories as displayed above. High dollar, high volume players, whether themselves or hired programming hands building scripts and programs to basically build the best teams for them. Then create thousands of team entries. Heck, I've heard some high dollar investment bankers even have gotten into this.

I'm not saying it's cheating per say, but it's a heck of a lot different than random Jo building a few fantasy teams for a weekend.

Comment

Ive won a few bucks here and there but it has a rigged feel about it, but it's gambling... I got tired of wasting the few bucks but it did keep me much more interested in games that I usually wouldnt be interested in.

Comment

Working...
                              X