QDMA, My Perceptions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QDMA, My Perceptions!

Like most of everyone here, I grew up leasing and being a member of hunting clubs up until the moment I purchased my own property a little over five years ago. That transition from leasing to ownership has changed my perception on how I go about hunting in general. When I was on a lease I never had an issue locating big deer or being successful when it came to shooting mature deer. I had proven to myself that I can find and kill them, but didn’t have the first clue on how to manage, supplement , and sculpt my property in order facilitate that success. I did not however, concern myself with improving anything other than my own personal success. This was a safe play considering how land owners use groups of hunters just to lease it out from under them once success is being realized. But once I took over the reins of my own place, I brought my previous philosophy to the table that had been used by default in all of my previous years. With my newest land acquisition I wanted to change my approach and look into sculpting my land so that it was more conducive to supporting deer herd’s full potential. After researching I found QDMA which offers Steward Courses for all things relating to whitetail deer. I was skeptical at first but after completing Deer Steward I, I realized that many of the old wise tales that I held sacred when it came to deer hunting were invalid or proven false in documented trials. The organization truly cares about deer and property management and does not attempt to endorse or sell products. They show proven techniques to improve the land and your deer herd with the equipment and resources many of us already have. The courses cover everything from management plans, culling, to deer pens and the breeders being responsible for the spread of CWD and much more, I found it to be very informative especially when it came to property management. I went ahead and signed up for Deer Steward II in May which encompasses an outdoor classroom environment all of which will be HANDS on! I am looking forward to it and will be sure to give my summary once I have completed this module. It was truly an eye opener to how little I actually knew and how little those around you know as well when it comes to overall management! I highly recommend this to anyone who is a landowner or an avid hunter in general. Remember to always consider the source and that free advice is always the most expensive to put into application!

great info! Thanks

Comment

QDMA is a good resource for all things whitetail. But remember that there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box. Every property is a little different and might require some fine tuning to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
        QDMA is a good resource for all things whitetail. But remember that there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box. Every property is a little different and might require some fine tuning to get it right.
        Very true, but whether you have 20 acres or 10,000 the methodologies are applicable. Thinking outside the box is a good thing, but not when evidence doesn’t support your planned course of action
        Last edited by Darton; 02-11-2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

I did the first course several years ago, never got around to signing up for level II. Now that I am retired, I may have to sign up for it.

Comment

Oh you are gonna enjoy this.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
              I did the first course several years ago, never got around to signing up for level II. Now that I am retired, I may have to sign up for it.
              No better time than the present

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
              Oh you are gonna enjoy this.
              I am really looking forward to it

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                No better time than the present

I am really looking forward to it
                I have never went to a class or a biologist field day, but I have read and watched a lot of material. Some works, some doesn't, depends on your region, soil comp and various other variables. The one thing it has been is fun, disappointing and fulfilling to say the least.

Enjoy and we are looking forward to your reports

Comment

That sounds like an awesome program. I'm going to look into it. Thanks

Comment

Are you attending the class in may? I am just know starting steward 1. Getting a late start due to me having shoulder surgery first of this month.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamhooked View Post
                      Are you attending the class in may? I am just know starting steward 1. Getting a late start due to me having shoulder surgery first of this month.
                      I am sir, get to feeling better and come join us

Comment

Where do they conduct the level II class?

Comment

Originally posted by Deadeye Mex View Post
                          Where do they conduct the level II class?
                          The classroom portion is at Kurth Lake Lodge and the field portion is at the Nature Eye Showcase Farm.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                            The classroom portion is at Kurth Lake Lodge and the field portion is at the Nature Eye Showcase Farm.
                            In Lufkin TX

Comment

Working...
                            X