Look at these graphs & tables!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at these graphs & tables!!!

Well, if the ANTI's just wait 15-20 years the battle will be over at our current rate of decline. The high point for American hunters was in 1982.......whoa.....we better stop arguing among ourselves our this thing we call hunting is doomed!!!

Baby boomers make up our nation's largest cohort of hunters, and they've already begun to age out of the sport. Within 15 years, most will stop buying licenses entirely. And when they do, our ranks could plunge by 30 percent—along with critical funding for wildlife management, advocacy for hunting, and a tradition that's probably pretty important to you. In other words, the clock is ticking. And unless we act now, we might not recover from the fallout.

That is alarming. I didn't read the entire article but the last segment talked about focusing on Hipsters and recruiting. If that's the target they will fail miserably. It's the cost of hunting and the commercialization of hunting that is killing itself. Back in the early 90's I said Bill Jordan, the Buckmaster nucklehead and Texas Trophy Magazine will ruin Hunting as we know it. My bad call was it happened quicker than I thought
    Last edited by BrandonA; 01-22-2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Scary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        That is alarming. I didn't read the entire article but the last segment talked about focusing on Hipsters and recruiting. If that's the target they will fail miserably. It's the cost of hunting and the commercialization of hunting that is killing itself. Back in the early 90's I said Bill Jordan, the Buckmaster nucklehead and Texas Trophy Magazine will ruin Hunting as we know it. My bad call was it happened quicker than I thought
        Hipsters was just a small discussion in the article. But it was surprising to learn that children are NOT the best target audience to get ourselves out of this hole. I am sure that some will say the "research is flawed" but bottom line we know the situation is approaching critical mode!!!

Comment

This thread needs to be moved to the campfire imo Mods

Comment

This thread needs to be moved to the campfire imo Mods
            you probably correct on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
              Hipsters was just a small discussion in the article. But it was surprising to learn that children are NOT the best target audience to get ourselves out of this hole. I am sure that some will say the "research is flawed" but bottom line we know the situation is approaching critical mode!!!
              Oscar you are absolutely right it is critical but again, regardless of who you recruit, it all comes down to the cost and availability of hunting. I can see that children not being the best target but recruiting the parents etc that have either given up hunting due to whatever reason. It's getting more cost prohibitive and restrictive ( last part self induced) every year.

Comment

I think we all know that the cost of hunting is starting to be prohibitive. Rural land prices are high. Buying a piece of property big enough to hunt is a huge expense for a middle class income. And, lease prices are getting ridiculously high.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Oscar you are absolutely right it is critical but again, regardless of who you recruit, it all comes down to the cost and availability of hunting. I can see that children not being the best target but recruiting the parents etc that have either given up hunting due to whatever reason. It's getting more cost prohibitive and restrictive ( last part self induced) every year.

Cost and restrictive
                  Most folks are not willing.to sacrifice thousands of dollars in hopes of spending some relaxing time in the woods only to have someone else tell them what they can and cannot do ( kill ).
                  I said several years ago all this " antler management " was going to further ruin our heritage.

Comment

I would like to see an overlay graph that compares the number of hunters to the loss of habitat over time. I suspect the two trends mirror each other.

As population grows so does urban sprawl. Your great great grandad used to have a deer blind where that new Starbucks sits.

Comment

Taking away the right to hunt in Texas to me is about as plausible as them coming to take all our guns. Hell if they outlaw hunting I bet not one less deer is killed in East TX that next season

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                        I would like to see an overlay graph that compares the number of hunters to the loss of habitat over time. I suspect the two trends mirror each other.

As population grows so does urban sprawl. Your great great grandad used to have a deer blind where that new Starbucks sits.
                        For a guy who hunted Columbus, Texas in the late 50's & 60's urban sprawl is unbelievable. As kid we seen so many ducks & geese from what is now beltway 8 & I10, Town & Country mall, Katy Mills mall, hotels, Walmart & you go on & on.

Few years ago a Neb. GW told me then that "local" hunting license sales had decrease by 20k

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post

Cost and restrictive
                          Most folks are not willing.to sacrifice thousands of dollars in hopes of spending some relaxing time in the woods only to have someone else tell them what they can and cannot do ( kill ).
                          I said several years ago all this " antler management " was going to further ruin our heritage.
                          You are right about that. After we sold our ranch in Menard I got on a lease for one yr. It was so restrictive that after one year I said to hell with it. If it weren't for my parents buying another ranch I probably would be out of the hunting game.

Comment

I think the whole trophy hunter aspect of hunting has a negative impact on hunter recruitment. Not that I don't love some big antlers. But when people think that is the goal of hunting, and then see that killing animals with big antlers is very expensive, it makes less people get involved. I think we could all do a better job showing hunting in a more positive light. Show the whole lifestyle and especially the FOOD aspect. I think Steve Rinella is a great advocate for hunting and we need more folks like him. Randy Newberg is too. Randy's focus is more public lands and Steve is more field to table but both are good for hunting IMO.

Comment

I am posting this at my own peril because I may get flamed, but here goes. There seems to be a lot of hypocrisy going on about hunting. I hear on this thread about how the price has gotten too high, trophy hunting is killing hunting, and to many restrictions. Well to me telling me what I have to do (in the interest of improving the herd (antler quality)) is the same is telling what I can't do. I understand general management rules to stop the "it's brown it's down" mentality. How many leases have we seen posted where the cost of the lease is anywhere from $2500 to $4500 plus all the extra money you have to spend to follow the "you have to's" and what is always the prevailing comment...."this shouldn't last long". The market is what anyone is willing to pay and then you aren't sure how long you will have it. Also, we have too many young people that need instant gratification to validate what they do- I drew a blank for the season that just closed but I am not throwing in the towel because I didn't get a physical return on my investment (venison in the freezer)- it is a challenge that I accept to make next year something to look forward to.

Comment

Working...
                              X