Matador WMA draw hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matador WMA draw hunt

Well my buddy and I got drawn for the Archery deer hunt at Matador Oct 16-20th and it is our first draw hunt for either of us. I have never even been up around that area so was hoping some of ya'll had some good tips on what to expect. I read some past threads and it looks like spot and stalk and then set up if you find some good sign ( trail, scrape, rub ) or water. Was curious about terrain, ground blinds or climbers/ladder stands. Also any good spots to eat
    Anyone else get drawn by any chance? Thanks guys! To say I'm excited would be an understatement!

I've never been but congrats. Pending second draw here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ttt

Comment

morning bump

Comment

I hunted it in 2013. When I get some time tonight, I'll shoot you a PM on my experience.

You won't have trees that you can climb, at least anywhere that I was on Matador so leave the climber at home.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
            I hunted it in 2013. When I get some time tonight, I'll shoot you a PM on my experience.

You won't have trees that you can climb, at least anywhere that I was on Matador so leave the climber at home.

That would be great! Thank you very much

Comment

Gun hunted the Matador a few years ago, be prepared to cover a lot of ground. the grass the yr I hunted was waist high in most areas which made hard walking. The place if very snaky but we did not see a snake. Stay in Childress if you are staying in a hotel/motel. We didn't see many deer and we covered a lot of ground and glassed for hours. good luck

Comment

if you get 1st choice pick on areas go for lone canyon or the other canyon next to it.. we drew archery in 2011. hard hunt never got close enough to any mulie bucks. tons of wt deer mostly does you see. lot of land to cover 28k acres. plenty places for pop up blinds, look for where they cross the roads on the ridge saddles. they have 2 camps there one for generators other for quite tent camping. there are some giant hogs there also.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the info so far, is not sure what compartment we'll get yet or if we get to pick. We will be bringing a trailer and generator to stay in as well. Any good places to eat in Childress or surrounding areas? Will be making the drive from Katy also

Comment

PMs sent.

Comment

Anyone know where I can get some good maps of the area?

Comment

I had an ap on my Iphone that worked really well. No guesswork as to where I was at on the map.

Comment

Not to hijack but didn't want to start another thread. My son and I drew the anterless hunt. Dec. 16-20. Any info you guys can share would be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
                              Not to hijack but didn't want to start another thread. My son and I drew the anterless hunt. Dec. 16-20. Any info you guys can share would be appreciated!
                              When I was scouting in 2013 I saw a lot of whitetail does in the eastern units.

Comment

Working...
                              X