No announcement yet.

Bee removals!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a tree with a hollow, there has been a swarm of bees in there for years, we called someone to come out and remove them and they quoted us 300 over the phone, those bees are not bothering me that much.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
      Can you identify these bees? This hive appeared last summer, most of them moved into the walls of the abandoned house over the winter and now they are all back outside.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180724/c202d925f734e588e12907addf94e244.jpg[IMG]
      looks like honey bees with an open air hive from the pic you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
        We have a tree with a hollow, there has been a swarm of bees in there for years, we called someone to come out and remove them and they quoted us 300 over the phone, those bees are not bothering me that much.
        That's a pretty typical cost for a removal. Most folks don't realize the amount of work (and liability) that goes into a cutout. I'm just an amateur beek and have only done simple, non-house removals like water meters, compost bins, etc. Trees are a bugger b/c you basically have to either force them to abscond from the hive or you have to remove the tree and take the hive elsewhere.

Comment

neat stuff...my Papaw kept bees forever till they became Africanized and I was being chased all the time mowing around his yard...it was always neat to watch 'em come home in the evening...funneling in from outta the skies right into their hives...

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
            looks like honey bees with an open air hive from the pic you posted.

If that’s the case then they are fine, I’m just not used to honey bees making an open air hive.

Comment

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                If that’s the case then they are fine, I’m just not used to honey bees making an open air hive.
                They will do it occasionally, no way of knowing their temperament or aggressiveness unless you mess with them though. Not all bees are gentle and laid back....

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                  That's a pretty typical cost for a removal. Most folks don't realize the amount of work (and liability) that goes into a cutout. I'm just an amateur beek and have only done simple, non-house removals like water meters, compost bins, etc. Trees are a bugger b/c you basically have to either force them to abscond from the hive or you have to remove the tree and take the hive elsewhere.
                  Not willing to remove the tree but I can see where that would cost some money. I thought bee keepers would be happy to get more bees, as far as I know they have not harmed anyone so they can just keep on keeping on.

Comment

Not willing to remove the tree but I can see where that would cost some money. I thought bee keepers would be happy to get more bees, as far as I know they have not harmed anyone so they can just keep on keeping on.
                    Amateur beekeepers like myself do it for free to get bees and build up my apiary but my experience only takes me so far. When you have to start cutting into houses spending a full day suited up in the summer heat and cleaning up the aftermath to make sure new bees don't come back...well, those free bees don't seem so appealing

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                      Amateur beekeepers like myself do it for free to get bees and build up my apiary but my experience only takes me so far. When you have to start cutting into houses spending a full day suited up in the summer heat and cleaning up the aftermath to make sure new bees don't come back...well, those free bees don't seem so appealing
                      I have a buddy in California who has started bee keeping, he bought his bees and they were not cheap, I told him I had some he could have for free.

Comment

How long does it take to create a decent size hive that would be big enough to have to open the eves and remove? I have some that started in my house 3+ months ago. I called 3 different bee removal companies and all 3 said it would be too hard to remove and I should just spray them. I would really like to relocate them to my land about an hr away.

Comment

I have caught bees in just about every possible circumstance that they live in or around, and will always entertain the chance of catching more, but I've grown my apiary to the size of not have to hustle bees that hard now. If a tree is destined to be removed I'll do it, but forced absconds in live trees can be difficult at best. Most of the time the bees do anything but cooperate.....

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                            How long does it take to create a decent size hive that would be big enough to have to open the eves and remove? I have some that started in my house 3+ months ago. I called 3 different bee removal companies and all 3 said it would be too hard to remove and I should just spray them. I would really like to relocate them to my land about an hr away.
                            With a decent nectar flow they could have drawn 8-10 deep frames worth of comb by now. The longer you leave them the more you'll have to remove....

Comment

Awesome! I need to take more pics of mine. I started in May with two nucs. I added a third with a trap out from a tree in my pasture and added a queen. A couple weeks later I checked and no queen/eggs/brood so I ordered another. When she came in I went to add her to the hive and the original queen was in there laying like crazy. I assume she was on mating flight the first time I checked. I robbed two frame of brood from my strongest hive to put with the extra queen. So now they are doing great and i'm up to 4 hives in 3 months.

I have a question for those that know what they are doing, I am starting to see some SHB showing up in two of my hives, What method do ya'll use to get rid of them. My research shows tons of ways, i'm looking for what is most effective.
                              Here are a couple pics from my trap out.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                                With a decent nectar flow they could have drawn 8-10 deep frames worth of comb by now. The longer you leave them the more you'll have to remove....
                                Exactly what I was going to say. The longer you wait the bigger and more expensive the problem becomes.

Comment

Working...
                                X