Almost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost...

Well, I came close to getting my first WT with a trad bow and first kill with the Black Widow this weekend. I shot a doe in the void known by hunters as the backstrap. Luckily for my own sanity, I could tell from the shot, the barrage of stomping and snorting that lasted 5 minutes after the shot all the way back to her bedding area, the lack of blood, the broken arrow, and only presence of meat on the shaft that made it through.

The weekend wasn't all bad. Been seeing deer every sit. Finally sat in one of my new cattle panel blinds. Even had deer at 10 yards on that sit. Unfortunately, when a buck bumped the does off the hand corn, the does didn't go to my primary window... instead they went behind the blind and spooked.

Hoping to have some more opportunities.

better luck next time

Comment

Keep after them, Scott!

Bisch

Comment

You and that Widow make a great team. It will be just a matter of time before it comes together.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          Keep after them, Scott!

Bisch
          I thought about calling you up and asking how I get her to come to a stand the next day after being shot in the back

Comment

Keep after 'em.

Comment

Haha!!! Mine was a total fluke. I had no clue it had been shot till I unraveled it all once i found him!

Not that this will be surprising to most around here, but it had me quite confused for a bit!

Bisch

Comment

That happened to me with a spike a few years ago. 2 weeks later he came into a different blind, he was kind of jumpy but I managed to get him that time.

Comment

The hunt for number one is a rollercoaster scott enjoy it

Comment

On the same quest as you. First attempt with a longbow the buck ducked the arrow. Getting frustrated quickly. Tons of targets but I can't get them inside 15 yards. I have a lot of respect for you guys that consistently kill bucks with trad gear. I have a big 9 that comes like clockwork but hits an invisible fence at 26 yards. I am so tempted to launch one at him. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                      On the same quest as you. First attempt with a longbow the buck ducked the arrow. Getting frustrated quickly. Tons of targets but I can't get them inside 15 yards. I have a lot of respect for you guys that consistently kill bucks with trad gear. I have a big 9 that comes like clockwork but hits an invisible fence at 26 yards. I am so tempted to launch one at him. Good luck.
                      You should practice out further than that so if you get the opportunity you will feel comfortable making the shot.

Comment

You'll get'em next time

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                          You should practice out further than that so if you get the opportunity you will feel comfortable making the shot.
                          I practice at 20-25. No problems hitting a stationary target at that range. Most of the experienced guys on here told me not to shoot that far with a longbow.

Comment

Stay with em Scott! Gettin over the hump is within sight! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Working...
                            X