Advice: bring shotgun also for yote hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice: bring shotgun also for yote hunting

Like the title says. I have my 22-250 I am bring, do you bring your shotgun as well for close shots of the opportunity is there ? If so, what shell? Buck shot ? Thank you in advance.

00buck works good on hogs at my place out to 20-30 yards.

Comment

Turkey loads or buck shot works well but even dove loads can be affective at close range.

If you go with a light load, I would shoot a full or similar choke.

Comment

I folded one out of my truck with my 20ga Remington heavy dove loads 8 shot. If they’re close enough it won’t matter what you’re using

Comment

We rarely make a stand without someone toting a shotgun. Things can happen real close and at a high rate of speed!

Comment

I like high brass #6 shot for what you're wanting to do. Devastating at close range, good for use as a general purpose critter getter at greater distances, still manageable as far as cost and recoil goes.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

Different gun pattern different with different rounds. My preference for my Rem 1100 would be 3" #4 buckshot. 41 large pellets do lots of damage. My 870 shoots 3" #1 best, if I were to carry my old Winchester 120 I would should 3" 00 copper plated. The reason I say all that is my 1100 will put at least 35 pellets is a 14" x 14" @ 40yards. My 120 will put all 9 pellets of 00 in a 14"x14" @40yrd it will only put maybe 15-20 3" #4's in a 14"x14" @40yrd.

Comment

I like a shotgun along if hunting in pairs, but i can see a way to drop the rifle off the sticks and shoulder the shotgun in a manner that won’t send them hightailing it out of there if you are hunting solo. I also hunt in wide open country so I can generally see them before they are even in rifle range (2-300 yds) so I have adequate opportunity to stop them before they get inside 50-60 yards. Occasionally I will have one slip by me.

Comment

Never have carried a shotgun and I've killed several when hair was all I could see in my scope. I never use a scope over 2.5 x 10 though, and it's generally on 4 or 5 when I'm calling. If I have to shoot at 250 or over, I usually have time to crank the scope up a little. Even if I don't, I can still smoke a yote at 250 on 5x.

Comment

We do and typically use #4 shot

Comment

#4 buckshot

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I got #4 buck shot

Comment

Only tote my 25-06. Puts fur on the ground every time.

Comment

#4 buck shot works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't carry both either one or the other. That's too much stuff to carry,especially if you have to drag a coyote back to the truck. Which I do because I save fur. Winchester Varmint X 3" BB is what I use. My buddy uses Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote 3" BB. Both will hammer a coyote. I like #4 buck in states where I can use it. 00 buckshot sucks. Every coyote I've seen hit with 00 it either took off or required another shot or two. Bird shot is the same way. That's why it's for birds.

Make sure you pattern your shells because sometimes they'll surprise you and won't hit anything in front of you except dirt. The Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote won't hit the broad side of a barn through my gun/choke. Winchester Varmint X BB will kill a coyote out to 45 yards out of it.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 02-22-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X