Too late to plant oats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too late to plant oats?

Was holding out for some rain in the forecast but I don't see anything forcasted next week here in Montgomery County.

How late is too late? Plot will be behind the house and is already disked up but too far away for me to irrigate.

Thoughts? Thanks

I bet you could get away with it as long as you plant in the next couple of weeks. I think you have till about the end of October unless it gets colder than normal faster.

Comment

You still have time it hasnt rained here yet either.

Comment

Plant dry, you will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          Plant dry, you will be fine
          Advantage to planting dry vs waiting right before rain?

Comment

Originally posted by Nike View Post
            Not necessarily an advantage, but your seeds will be fine until it rains.

Comment

Plenty of time still. We are putting our 620 acre oat crop in the ground starting Monday. Always plant around the 10th of October

Comment

Originally posted by Nike View Post
                Time wise you are fine planting. I haven't planted mine due to hot daytime temperatures and army worms. I will be dry planting mine this week. I don't see any difference between dry planting and waiting right before a rain. At least dry planting you can do it when you have time. Trying to do it right before a rain can be hectic. What if you have an equipment breakdown? The ones planted a couple of weeks ago got enough moisture to get them up. Now they are suffering due to warm daytime temperatures and lack of moisture.

Comment

We always plant mid October

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    The ones planted a couple of weeks ago got enough moisture to get them up. Now they are suffering due to warm daytime temperatures and lack of moisture.

This is the drawback to planting early / wet

Comment

I have heard you "Dust in Oats" and "Mud in wheat" so just go get it done.

Comment

Too late to plant oats?

Defiantly not too late. Where I hunted years ago next to Lake Whitney our owner never planted until the last week of October. Never had problems with rain or worms. Always a good stand of Oates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I never planted before this time of year. Many time a week later.

Comment

These responses are making me feel much better about our planting last week. Makes a load of sense though. Last year we planted before a rain and the stuff sprung up like crazy for the bow opener. Then it got hot and dry wilting the crap out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              Time wise you are fine planting. I haven't planted mine due to hot daytime temperatures and army worms. I will be dry planting mine this week. I don't see any difference between dry planting and waiting right before a rain. At least dry planting you can do it when you have time. Trying to do it right before a rain can be hectic. What if you have an equipment breakdown? The ones planted a couple of weeks ago got enough moisture to get them up. Now they are suffering due to warm daytime temperatures and lack of moisture.
                              We waited and planted last weekend. Getting some rain on it right now. Hope the dang army worms are gone!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X