Deerman shoot at Cowtown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
    So on Sunday, how long did the entire shoot take? I’m thinking about shooting when they are at Brazos Valley next month, but I can’t set aside the whole day.
    shooting and awards was done by about 3 but we did start at 9 on sunday

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
      So on Sunday, how long did the entire shoot take? I’m thinking about shooting when they are at Brazos Valley next month, but I can’t set aside the whole day.
      From what I remember of the Deerman shoot at BCAC, they finished around 3 on Sunday. I didn’t shoot it, but helped pick up targets. A lot depends on how many people show up to shoot, and how spread out the targets are. The shoot is a lot of fun, and a nice change from the typical open shots and manicured lanes of some 3D shoots. As Rick mentioned, patience with the other shooters is part of it.
      Last edited by CamoQuest; 03-18-2019, 11:02 AM.

Comment

6 hours for 30 targets. I guess that's only an average of 12 minutes per target. Still too long for me. Guess I'll stick to California starts.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          6 hours for 30 targets. I guess that's only an average of 12 minutes per target. Still too long for me. Guess I'll stick to California starts.

Gary
          That is a while. When i shoot ASA with a compound 30 targets takes about 4 hours usually

Comment

From what I am reading other places, it usually goes much faster than that.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
              From what I am reading other places, it usually goes much faster than that.
              Same group running it?

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                Same group running it?

Gary
                If it is a T.H.E. Deerman, then yes, the same group. A father and son started it, I think, Christian based with the vital scoring lines. The ones I’ve been to went pretty quick, shooting wise. The break for lunch and message are part of the shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
                  If it is a T.H.E. Deerman, then yes, the same group. A father and son started it, I think, Christian based with the vital scoring lines. The ones I’ve been to went pretty quick, shooting wise. The break for lunch and message are part of the shoot.
                  Yep. Them's the ones.

Gary

Comment

Yes, Jimmy and his staff run the event and the tailgate ministry is part of their format. Nobody is required to sit and listen, some go shot on the static range, chill in their vehicles, etc. Shotgun starts are a challenge sometimes when combining trad shooters with compounds, and that has some increased time when you have a better than usually turnout, which we had 93 competition shooters and 15 fun rounds. As a club, we experience a similar thing when we host the outdoor SYWAT events to an extent, because those are also shotgun/stagger start and after everyone shoots the first round, we switch the targets to a hunter round, so for the first groups out there will be some waiting until we can get the targets swapped.
                    I personally love hosting and shooting the Deerman events because to me, they are the truest representation of hunting in archery, and that was the initial purpose of 3d archery back in the day. Last year on our deer lease, there was two animals harvested only because angles had been practiced on foam at a THE event and the shooter felt confident in the shot. But that's just my pennies worth. I know it ain't for everyone, as all of the circuits and series and event styles, don't fit for everyone. And that's ok. Emf of the day, we are all flinging sticks in the woods and having a good time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We had our Deerman at Collin County the week-end before Cowtown. We had 79 Tournament shooters and about 20 fun rounds. We got started setting targets late because at 7:00 it was coming a flood. The tournament did not get under way until 11:30 on Saturday and I was on my way home by 3:30. Sunday we started at 9:00 and were done, picked up targets and headed home at 1:30, so about 4 hours total for the 30 targets and the ministry.
                      Jimmy feels very strongly that God has called on him to do this, so it is a big part of the reason he does it. He sure ain't getting rich off of it, not to mention being away from his family every week-end all summer long.

Wayne

Comment

Working...
                      X