Towing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pyrobow View Post
    For safety sake Check your tire rating. I have seen trailers sold with tires that don't match the axle rating. Tires need to be rated at 1750 each (or more) to match axle rating.
    good point. I know they are trailer tires but I'll check the rating.

Comment

Art, ain't no way I'd tow that tractor on a trailer without brakes. If you were closer, I'd loan you mine. I tow a 5055 JD with implements front and rear on a 20 footer (with brakes) without issue using my F150 SuperCrew. The towing is not a problem it's the stopping that's going to be very dangerous. You stop the truck, the trailer tongue wants to rise up as the rear end on the truck rises at the application of the brakes... Trailer and it's load can greatly reduce your rear tires contact with the ground in a hard stop. You're asking for trouble...

Might want to ask your dealer to come pick it up... My dealer offers this service and it's very reasonable. At my place, the guy knows where I keep it and he comes out, picks up the tractor, does the service and returns it... half the time I never even see him... Lots to be said about peace of mind and safety...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Art, ain't no way I'd tow that tractor on a trailer without brakes. If you were closer, I'd loan you mine. I tow a 5055 JD with implements front and rear on a 20 footer (with brakes) without issue using my F150 SuperCrew. The towing is not a problem it's the stopping that's going to be very dangerous. You stop the truck, the trailer tongue wants to rise up as the rear end on the truck rises at the application of the brakes... Trailer and it's load can greatly reduce your rear tires contact with the ground in a hard stop. You're asking for trouble...

Might want to ask your dealer to come pick it up... My dealer offers this service and it's very reasonable. At my place, the guy knows where I keep it and he comes out, picks up the tractor, does the service and returns it... half the time I never even see him... Lots to be said about peace of mind and safety...
        Thanks for the input. The kicker is I've got a nice big trailer with brakes at the ranch but I don't have a big enough truck with a goose neck to pull it. I may see if I can borrow a truck from the neighbor to get it done.

Comment

Have you thought about finding a place that will do the service onsite? Depending on what you’re planning on having done that might be a good option.

Without trailer brakes I would say don’t do it, trailer brakes make a world of difference when stopping a heavy load behind you.

Comment

The front wheels went flat and are packed with mud. I need the tires removed, a good pressure washing and remounted. They may or may not have punctures I won't know till they get them cleaned and re-inflated. I could just take them off but I'd like to wash the tractor and fill it with diesel while I'm in town.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
              The law requires trailer brakes if gross towed exceeds 4500# unless you keep it under 30 mph. You'll have a liability issue if something goes wrong. Personally I would never do it without trailer brakes.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
              LOL... What's trailer breaks?

Comment

Can you jack up and block the front end of the tractor to get the weight off the flat tires? If so, I would do that and wait till you get your trailer with brakes to haul it. No sense in taking a chance that you are not comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                  The front wheels went flat and are packed with mud. I need the tires removed, a good pressure washing and remounted. They may or may not have punctures I won't know till they get them cleaned and re-inflated. I could just take them off but I'd like to wash the tractor and fill it with diesel while I'm in town.
                  If that’s the case I would see if they would come pick it up for you or try and borrow a truck/see if someone will lend you a hand and go pick up the trailer at the ranch and haul it for/with you. If I was closer I would offer to come help you out this weekend but I’m a way away from you

Comment

I have a 5205 with a front bucket and rear blade. Somewhere around 7000 pounds total weight. I've hauled it a few times on my car hauler with 2 3500 pound axles and it is pretty not fun. I've always used F250 Powerstrokes. The pulling isn't bad but the stopping is. I would want a lot more trailer than what you are talking about. Preferably something good for 12 to 14,000 pounds with good brakes. I had an F150 with the Ecoboost and I didn't even like to tow my boat with it. The suspension on the F150 is set up for comfort and is not much good for towing a real load.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                      I have a 5205 with a front bucket and rear blade. Somewhere around 7000 pounds total weight. I've hauled it a few times on my car hauler with 2 3500 pound axles and it is pretty not fun. I've always used F250 Powerstrokes. The pulling isn't bad but the stopping is. I would want a lot more trailer than what you are talking about. Preferably something good for 12 to 14,000 pounds with good brakes. I had an F150 with the Ecoboost and I didn't even like to tow my boat with it. The suspension on the F150 is set up for comfort and is not much good for towing a real load.
                      Yes my F150 EgoBoost is very comfortable and I pull an 8000 TT (with anti sway and trailer brakes) all over and its not bad at all considering that's not a "real load". Cross-winds can create some white knuckles if their too strong, I'll admit, but it's still manageable if your set up correctly.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Check your receiver, hitch, and ball ratings as well. Most of the cheaper hitches at Lowe’s, Tractor Supply, etc are only rated to 5-6,000 pounds.

Comment

I would not tow without brakes trying to cover that distance. Unless you can drive real slow.

Comment

If you don’t feel good about towing the tractor, the dealer should have means to pick it up and bring it to the dealership.
                            Last edited by smokeless; 01-31-2019, 03:18 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Okay I'm convinced...I'll block it up and just take in the wheels.
                              I called the dealer to ask what size the lug nuts are and he seemed unsure so I called a second dealer and got a different answer... So to be sure I called a third and you guessed it...got an even different answer. I guess I'll be bringing the whole tool box with me to be sure!

Comment

Working...
                              X