Arrow tuning woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow tuning woes

I guess I got lucky with my first longbow and my recurve (49# and 45#@ 28"). They both liked GT 35/55's full length with a total of 225 up front. Now I have a dozen Bass Pro Carbon Supreme 350's that I were free and I was trying to tune them to my current bow, a Sarrels longbow 58#@28", which is pretty close to what I am drawing. I jacked with them all day and cannot get the nock end to come down. I raised the nock point all the way to 1" and tried everything from 225 to 325 up front to no avail. Oddly, I didn't get much difference in fishtailing throughout all the combinations of tip weight. Anywhere from straight to slightly left. Anyway, I have some GT's that I will try next but if anyone has any tips for getting the nock end to come down some other than the arrows are too far off in spine, please let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by duck'n; 03-04-2007, 08:37 PM.

i had the same problem with my goldtips 3555's but i got some gt 5575s to fly like bullets. if they are grouping the same i wouldn't worry about the fishtailing. at least thats what i did. they still fishtail a bit but i can't tell anything when i put feathers and broadheads on.
    hope this kinda helps

Comment

hey Duck'n are they fishtailing with fletching or bareshaft?
      I had a problem like yours one time when bare shaft tunning my longbow i had a small nock high kick and couldnt get rid of it. i had too tried adding weight and all with no results then i went and bought new shafts and left them full lenght and tuned from there. then another time i had a bow bare shaft perfect and all but when i fletched them they flew good but were very sensitive and would get a sloppy on me if i had any kind of break in form or anything ... so i moved the nock point from 5/8" where the bareshafts were bullets to 3/8 where they had a high kick and it made the bow very forgiving.

just thought i would confuse you more....

just play with it.... ive come to the conclusion that im not tunning to the book im tunning to my confidence

John

Comment

Thanks...I will keep messing with them. Oh and they are kicking up (nock high) with bare shafts. I have yet to shoot a fletched shaft (the BPS shafts anyway). I need fletch tape and can't find it ANYWHERE in the valley...ARGHHH!

Comment

Knocks might be fitting to tight on the string or try a different rest material.

Don't be afraid to try lowering the knocking point on the string to get the kick out and pull with middle finger.

Comment

If its nock high, lower the nock point.....

Comment

OK, thanks. I will try lowering the nock also.

Comment

Working...
              X