Traditional Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Help

Well I finally went and did it. I picked up a left handed Ben Pearson mustang 55# recurve off of ebay the other night. What kind of arrows should I shoot and what other accessories do I need. This will be my first experience with traditional archery equipment.

Have you gotten the bow yet?

Comment

What is your draw length and point weight?

Comment

I'd start with some 2016s, maybe 2018s at full length. See how they do with the standard 125gn head and go from there.

Comment

I am still waiting for the bow to arrive. I am guessing it will be here next week. As far as the draw length and point weight, I don't know yet.

Comment

It might be a little too heavy to start out with. I would take your draw length from your compound and subtract it by about 1 1/2. This will get you close. But that is only if you are able to draw it to your true draw length. #55 doesn't sound like much until you draw it without letoff or hold it for a couple mins. Then you see how much #55 is! You can kill anything in North America with #55!
            Chris Kiefner

Comment

I have got a pearson that was built in the mid sixties(64') and ask Eric, it is still quiet, and spits a 550 grain arrow a shade over 160. It is only #46 so I am way over the 8 or 9 gpi recomendation. It will wack a bag target thats for sure. So do not be discouraged by them old bows, they can kill just as good as the new ones. If you do not mind could you PM me and tell me how much you paid for yours? I paid $16 for mine plus a 1/2 dozen wood bear arrows and broadheads and a dozen 2016,2018,1918 arrows. Keep your eyes open when you go to them garage sales! I tell my wife #40 or more and no more than $25. I might lower the weight requirements this year, I missed out on some really nice 30 pounders!
              Chris Kiefner
              Chris Kiefner

Comment

Working...
              X