Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Bass Lake....

Kind of.

A good friend is building a lake on his place and we're busy trying to make it heaven on earth for bass and fisherman alike. Unfortunately I lost a phone with all the dirt work pictures, but we had the dirt guy run the dozer up the three drainage courses entering the main body to create a hard 3-4' channel drop all the way up each one. Also added a bunch of humps and mounds around the deeper sections so we can have some varying depth to target through the year.

Now we're busy filling it with as much structure as we can possibly get. Dale made us a great deal on some old flue tile and you'll see it scattered about around the lake as fish condos. We've got about 7' of water to go and we're scrambling to finish up the brush piles, heavy rock, and pea gravel before the (fingers crossed) spring rains fill her up.

A quick overview from the ****
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20131231_153514.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	25013683

Looking towards the ****

Name:	20131231_132940.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	25013684

Looking towards the shallows

Name:	20131231_132944.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	25013685

Heavy brush windrows in the middle of the lake are in about 5-9 feet of water now. You can see a few of the humps that the dirt guy create off the channels he dug.

Name:	20131231_144907.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	25013686

Fish Condos courtesy of Dale Mo.

Name:	20140314_143345.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	25013687

Start of the dock.

Name:	20140215_171049.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	25013688

I missed the last work weekend, but they got a bunch more brush and big trees drug into it. One bonus to cutting brush and trees for fish habitat.... more food plots. I'll try to snap a few more pics next time I'm out.

Thats awesome it looks really nice!

Comment

Looks great! Looks like a duck hunters dream as well.

Comment

Looks great! I did some similar things with a couple I had dug last year, was going to do some more, but 3 heavy rains, about 15 inches in 2 weeks beat me to it

Comment

Appreciate the kind words. He's put a ton of time and thought into it. If anybody has some suggestions bring 'em on.

Myway, you've got good eyes. Working on this lake is just an excuse to get us to November.

Comment

Originally posted by gibowhunter View Post
            Looks great! I did some similar things with a couple I had dug last year, was going to do some more, but 3 heavy rains, about 15 inches in 2 weeks beat me to it
            Hard to be upset about good rain, but that's our hope and fear at this point in time. Anything you wish you'd done different, more, less on yours?

Comment

Are you anchoring the brush?

Comment

This is a bass fisherman dream come true. You have a target rich enviroment to pitch a jig in. Post up some pics when this is full, this looks great. Any fish been stocked yet?

Comment

How many acres is it?

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      Are you anchoring the brush?
                      The big stuff no, it stays down all right on its own. The little stuff that's used for minnow habitat early on has a cinder block in the middle of it.

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                      This is a bass fisherman dream come true. You have a target rich enviroment to pitch a jig in. Post up some pics when this is full, this looks great. Any fish been stocked yet?
                      Thanks. I'll grab a few pics next time I'm out to show the progress, and then again when it is full. Forage fish have been released, but not sure how many and of what. I'll find out.

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      How many acres is it?
                      Should be 7 acres when it is full. Hard to tell from my pictures, but there is enough of a channel that we should be able to pull the "kids" on tubes when it is full.

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                      Sweet!
                      Thanks. It will be a while, but can't wait to haul a few lunkers out as it matures.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                        Looks great! Looks like a duck hunters dream as well.
                        x2

Comment

Pray for rain!!! for everyone in Texas not just this Bad *** fishing hole.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                            They stocked 2800 blue gill 1-3", 700 red ear 1-3" 150 red ear 3-5". Shad will come later this month with the Bass sometime around June.

Comment

Originally posted by Ride_Klein View Post
                              They stocked 2800 blue gill 1-3", 700 red ear 1-3" 150 red ear 3-5". Shad will come later this month with the Bass sometime around June.
                              Great plan

Comment

Working...
                              X