Which Alaskan cruise excursions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Alaskan cruise excursions

Wife and I and 4 other couples are going on an Alaskan cruise in July wondering which excursions to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Any of the train rides are breath taking. They are pricey, but would do it again in a heartbeat.

Comment

Anything that gets you far away from the boat.

Red dog saloon in Juneau is cool. There is also a sky track thing that runs you up a mountain. We saw tons of sheep across from the landing.

The train at whitepass summit was ok. If you do that carry some snacks from the ship.

Irregardless take GOOD binoculars. Even from the boat they come in handy watching shore lines for bears and the water for whales. I could have rented my 10x50s by the minute just during the inside passage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Headed up there to do a cruise in September...no idea what to expect...except I cant take my bow.

Comment

The tram up the mountain in Juneau is cool. There are a few towns to zip line (Hoonah has a long one), you can fish, whale watch (but you'll probably see them from the ship), helicopter & float plane flights, salmon bakes, glacier tours, bear watching tours, you can visit the State Museum in Juneau.

Skip the shops and bars in downtown Juneau and take a hike up Perseverance Trail.
          (http://www.alaska.org/detail/perseverance-trail)

From 2002-2010 I guided fly fishing trips for 9 seasons with Bear Creek Outfitters.(https://www.instagram.com/bearcreekoutfitters/)

Dress in layers and take some light rain gear.

Comment

We did a Alaskan sea-land cruise combo for our 30th wedding anniversary through Princess cruise lines last year.

We were on the Coral Princess with stops and excursions in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park, College Fjord and Whittier before starting the land portion throughout Denali NP. Even the land portion was on Princess properties. It was great trip.
            The train ride from Whittier to Denali was the highlight but the views during the inner passage cruise didn’t exactly suck either [emoji23]

Comment

We really enjoyed the dog sledding and helicopter ride, but it was pretty pricey and we wished it was a little longer. Still, it is the best excursion we have taken on any of our cruises, Alaska or otherwise.

Comment

We've done the inside passage cruise 3 times, but always in August.

Fishing can be hit or miss. First time (Ketchikan) in July was phenomenal, saw lots of whales, caught a boat limit of pinks and 1 silver, fed the eagles. Second time in Juneau was a bust, ended up being a 4-hour boat ride, only caught 2 fish for the whole boat. Third time (Ketchikan) was OK, everybody caught a few (king, pink, silver, ling, and some other fish), but no limits, wasn't too bad. If you fish, go in Ketchikan.

As mentioned, train ride is good if you like scenery/photography. I can see where folks would think its boring otherwise. I really liked it, wife and dad fell asleep. First time we did it, it was too foggy to see anything. Next time the weather was perfect.

Whale watching and wildlife excursion in Juneau was good, especially for whales.

There was a black bear-watching trip out of Ketchikan that was good. Took a boat ride near a salmon farm. Saw several bears and got pretty close (50 yards), good photo opportunity.

At Skagway, went over to Haines to do a boat ride up the river at the bald eagle preserve to look for wildlife. Didn't see much but was a good trip anyway. Saw 4 brown bears on the way over, 1 quick look at a moose, eagles everywhere.

Also did the Taku floatplane trip over the 5 glaciers, another great photo op.

Did the gold panning thing with the buffet lunch. Meals on most of these excursions aren't great, but this one was decent. The gold panning thing was a little corny (mainly did this one for dad) but I didn't mind it. Give you a little souvenir vial with your gold in it.

If I had to pick 1 at each port, I'd fish at Ketchikan, whale watch at Juneau, and either ride the train at Skagway (one of the short trips not the long trips) or do the Taku plane ride.

Comment

Thanks everyone Sounds like it's going to be an amazing trip for sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X