No announcement yet.

Trapping 2016 - 2017 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That paw print on the dirt hole is probably an inch off.

Comment

I've had my traps in the ground since October 5th here in llano. My best hair has been a Russ a Carmel canine call after the freeze and before the freeze has been Russ carmen bobcat gland with a little predator buffet on both dirt hole and flat set.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
        That paw print on the dirt hole is probably an inch off.
        That's a lil aggravating isn't it but it sure teaches you more on trap placement. I had an old man tell me he learns more from misses then catches

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]837632[/ATTACH]
          At Llano l Feed and Supply. It is the one that is kind of tucked away from everyone not Lyssey & Eckles.
          Hey I talked to this guy a few days ago. I used to sale to Tommy King and this guy. Tommy always wanted coyotes, this guys does not. He only wants bobcats and fox this year. Fox will be pretty cheap also. There is no market for coyotes this year. It hasn't been cold enough long enough to bring the thick fur. He said "nah don't bring em just throw them in the dumpster"

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
            Hey I talked to this guy a few days ago. I used to sale to Tommy King and this guy. Tommy always wanted coyotes, this guys does not. He only wants bobcats and fox this year. Fox will be pretty cheap also. There is no market for coyotes this year. It hasn't been cold enough long enough to bring the thick fur. He said "nah don't bring em just throw them in the dumpster"
            You know that's what sad I'd like to get a lil bit from then you know. But I understand they aren't worth much but man that sucks when they don't bring nothing almost feels like a waste. I don't think Tommy king is even in buissness right now is he

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
              You know that's what sad I'd like to get a lil bit from then you know. But I understand they aren't worth much but man that sucks when they don't bring nothing almost feels like a waste. I don't think Tommy king is even in buissness right now is he

Tommy King died last year, no one said how he died he just up and died.
              It is a waste, I'm part of the Cattle Raisers and I get a bounty on them here in llano, you can't unless you are part of CR. Then if an animal isn't bringing any money I just tan it and hang it in my office. I have my thinning machine and barrels here at the barn. I've already got 14 coyotes, 21 fox, and 15 coons in the freezer and I took December off from trapping pretty much to work on my colts. I can tell you that they don't want them shot anywhere but in the head and with a very small caliber. I shoot a 22 short. And they want the whole skin with the paws on but deboned and tail deboned. You shoot it anywhere else or with anything else just toss it. If ya don't want to waste then tan get them tanned and maybe sell them to people wanting a hide. But it costs about 100 dollars to tan one.

Comment

Man I had no idea that Tommy died. I sold to him for several years.
                Ya I'm getting a bounty on the coyotes here from the rancher I'm up to 19 an 8 cats. But what's weird I'm not catching many fox. I usually catch any here from 20 to 40 a year without trying but not this year.
                I haven't been shooting hardly any of my animals. I've been using a catch pole.

Comment

Some small critter checked out this set. I can't tell what it was. Possibly a rabbit.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20170126_083113.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	24481916

Comment

Yes, that is a golf ball.

Comment

Man I had no idea that Tommy died. I sold to him for several years.
                      Ya I'm getting a bounty on the coyotes here from the rancher I'm up to 19 an 8 cats. But what's weird I'm not catching many fox. I usually catch any here from 20 to 40 a year without trying but not this year.
                      I haven't been shooting hardly any of my animals. I've been using a catch pole.

Yeah it was crazy I grew up in Monahans and it was just wild he died.
                      Yepp fox are strange this year, I don't particularly like fox but I'll take them. Cats have been pretty active this year too I'm pretty impressed. I think this ole boy is taking them to the Carolina market where they are then taken to Canada. At least that's what he sounded like.

Comment

Some small critter checked out this set. I can't tell what it was. Possibly a rabbit.
                        [ATTACH]837772[/ATTACH]
                        Looks like may be rats I've had alot of that this year. I like the golf ball

Comment

Yeah it was crazy I grew up in Monahans and it was just wild he died.
                          Yepp fox are strange this year, I don't particularly like fox but I'll take them. Cats have been pretty active this year too I'm pretty impressed. I think this ole boy is taking them to the Carolina market where they are then taken to Canada. At least that's what he sounded like.
                          Years before fox were my money I'd catch 1 or 2 a day sometimes an they were bringing $20 each.
                          An ya I've noticed a big change in the cats that's good tho

Comment

Years before fox were my money I'd catch 1 or 2 a day sometimes an they were bringing $20 each.
                            An ya I've noticed a big change in the cats that's good tho

Yepp I remember that, that was good gas money for checking the real traps haha. I like a cottontail tail or sheeps wool. I haven't used the golf all much. I set my dirtholes at more of an angle tho. I haven't seen them paired up yet. It it should be soon maybe the next couple of cold fronts.

Comment

Yepp I remember that, that was good gas money for checking the real traps haha. I like a cottontail tail or sheeps wool. I haven't used the golf all much. I set my dirtholes at more of an angle tho. I haven't seen them paired up yet. It it should be soon maybe the next couple of cold fronts.
                              All I'm catching is males right now. I think put of all I've caught only 3 have been females this year.

Yes I'm like you I almost drill my holes straight back. I like to find some kinda rise or wash out an drill into that

Comment

I added a shot of coyote urine to the backing on that dirt hole with the pattern miss to keep them interested. On the dropping set I added a little Bobcat gland lure. It looks like the coyote marked that dropping pile. I put a stick in the track the coyote made in case they come back they won't step in the same spot.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	20170126_082211.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	24481921

Comment

Working...
                                X