New feeder set ups. One question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New feeder set ups. One question.

I set up a couple of new feeder pens this weekend. Both have the same feeder setups. The corn feeders hold about 850 lbs. of corn, have 12v Triple C timers w/ Triple C solar panels. The varmint cages are expanded metal. No exposed wires, no way for a coon to slip a grubby paw into the cage. Really happy, fewer feeder filling trips, with a really reliable motor / timer setup.

Each pen also has a Boss Buck 1200# protein feeder equipped w/ Hammer Timed feeding timer, and Triple C solar panel. Again no exposed wires, etc. Really happy with both.

The one concern i have is the height of the feed tubes on the protein feeders. The tubes are about 36" off he ground. it seems just a little low to me. But what's done is done. Do any of you guys with protein feeder experience have any thoughts on the tube height?

I've got camera's up on each station. Will go back in a couple of weeks to do some more work and see what the camera's say.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mikemorvan; 05-07-2017, 08:08 PM.

I like them around 42 inches, so coons can't stand there and rake it all out.

Comment

I like 40-41" on my protein feed spouts to keep the Coons off. But I don't use a timer. The deer and Coons will love 36" spouts.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
        I like 40-41" on my protein feed spouts to keep the Coons off. But I don't use a timer. The deer and Coons will love 36" spouts.
        That's what i hope is the genius of the timer. Hopefully there will be deer there when food is available, and they'll clean all the food up. Time will tell.

Comment

I set my tubes at 38" as an average. Too high and deer struggle to feed, too low and coons don't. Don't think a couple inches will matter much. Like you said, time will tell. Try not to leave too much feed in the tubes after dark and the coons shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

I have my tubes set at about 40". Trying to keep the smaller hogs out of my protein, the bigger ones still get their fill. I run Triple "c" feeders also. They are awesome, have used them for years.

Comment

Please do yourself a favor and pull those T-Post out and drive them in at the same angle as the legs. If you ever fall off that ladder you sure the heck don't want to fall on one of those T-Post the way they are now.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                Please do yourself a favor and pull those T-Post out and drive them in at the same angle as the legs. If you ever fall off that ladder you sure the heck don't want to fall on one of those T-Post the way they are now.
                Good thought. Thanks man. Will do on a cool morning. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                  This is exactly what I was going to post as well!!

Comment

Working...
                  X