The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
    New Mexico has not disappointed. First morning today and saw 12 bulls. Closest we got was about 10 yards with a 4x4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's good stuff! I hunt Northern NM next year, Sept 6-12, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to control myself for another year.

Comment

4 trips up/down 232 stairs with 30+ pound pack. Shooting broadheads at range out to 50. Home and then a 2-hour hike in the hills again with the pack.

If the Montana mountains kick my butt, I know I’m doing everything I can to prepare.

Comment

We leave for Chama, NM on Friday and start hunting Saturday. I talked to one of the guides on the ranch we are hunting and he said it is has been real slow with very minimal amounts of elk talking.

Comment

We got 4 Tbhers on same schedule. Milligan Brand Outfitters in chama

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            We got 4 Tbhers on same schedule. Milligan Brand Outfitters in chama
            Longest week ever! Actually looking forward to the 16 hour drive. Crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
              We leave for Chama, NM on Friday and start hunting Saturday. I talked to one of the guides on the ranch we are hunting and he said it is has been real slow with very minimal amounts of elk talking.
              Well, you don't want them talking before you get there.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                Well, you don't want them talking before you get there.
                That is true

Comment

After 24 hour straight drive we just got to our area in Idaho. Game on

Comment

Leave on friday. Any reports in northern Colorado

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I leave Friday for North West Colorado cant wait.

Comment

Everyone that is on the road or about to be on the road good luck and stay safe out there.

This is from my buddy down in 17.
                        Not quite ready for a stalk.

They have found many elk but they have not been vocal and the monsoons have been hitting on a regular schedule leaving every tank, stream bed, pothole with drinking water for the elk. They are still working hard.

Comment

Just got back from Northern NM private ranch hunt. Hunted 8 days. We each had a bull in range but never got a shot....you know how bow hunting works.

Some bulls were still in bachelor groups (we had groups of 9, 7, 4, 3, and 2 bulls together throughout the week.) There were also a couple of big herds roaming around. One had 250-300 animals on another ranch and the other we got up and personal with had about 120-150 elk in it with about 30 bulls of varying ages. We also saw herds of 15-20 elk with a herd bull and smaller satellite bulls.
                          We did call in a nice bull that was by himself to 40 yds with a cow call and then 2 spikes about 15 mins later. They were on their own and not in a big herd....but that was it for the week.

I did bugle alot to try and locate bulls with it but if they weren't already talking they would not respond. If they sounded off first then they would keep talking if you bugled back at them. We got close several times doing this including a scream fest for 20 mins at 25 yds with four big bulls.....but no shot because of the thick brush.

As far as bugling it was off and on. In my experience the elk will take a break after they have been bugling for a day or two....they will be silent for a couple of days....that's typical of this area and its happened every year I have hunted here. Also when the large groups would be around...it fired up all the elk...even the ones that were not in the herd across the valley....but even the next couple of days when the big herd left they would give us the silent treatment. Bulls would come of the hay fields and be totally silent in the early mornings.

Not sure if this will help anyone but it may give a perspective of what they were doing last week. Good luck to all you elk slayers!

Comment

Heading back home from Idaho. There was a little bugling going on and had a few close calls with bulls. Got my butt kicked on the mountain, learned a lot Took a 10 yard shot on a cow. Here are a few pics.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
                              Heading back home from Idaho. There was a little bugling going on and had a few close calls with bulls. Got my butt kicked on the mountain, learned a lot Took a 10 yard shot on a cow. Here are a few pics.

Congrats on the cow !!

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                                That is true
                                Headed out Wednesday. Will be just north of Chama but across state line! Good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X