An ole coon dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An ole coon dog

Me and my boy picked us up a coon dog a couple weeks ago. Treed our first coon the other night. I've read there are a few old coon hunters on here. Thought I'd share some videos, of they will work.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59e2b67a...1316880460.mp4http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59e2b6b0...-716788042.mp4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Good stuff right there. I've walked many miles behind a coon dog. I've been out of it for several years now but still miss it

Comment

That would be so cool!

Comment

Grew up coon hunting i sure did enjoy a good chase

Comment

Followed my dad through many a mile chasing our Walker and Bluetick coon dogs back in the 80s. Sure was fun!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Grew up hunting behind coon dogs. I guess that's a dying sport now days. I have lots of memories as a kid watching those dogs work

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Grew up hunting behind coon dogs. I guess that's a dying sport now days. I have lots of memories as a kid watching those dogs work
              Yeah, when I was looking for a dog I couldn't find many people around that coon hunt it didn't seem like. I believe it's still popular in the eastern states, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc.

Comment

Its dying in Texas but in other states its still popular...the Carolina's, Alabama, Mississippi, Virginia to name a few they do it a lot. We pride our TROPHY deer (cash cow) so much here is the main reason its dead.

Comment

Grew up with it. Owned and hunted thru my 40's and then hunted with and took my Dad and his dogs hunting when he was 81 years old for his last hunt up on LBJ Grasslands six months before Dad passed away. Ain't been since.
                  Love to hear a good coon race and listen to a good dog chop a tree down.

Comment

Grew up doing running blue ticks and black & tan hound dogs wit my grandpa. He raised them for many many years. Finally sold them all when I got into my teens and haven't done it since. Was fun running all night. Saw some bad arse coon bs dog fights too.

Comment

I still breed and hunt blueticks. I train and keep them in shape hunting coons around Menard but my love is lion hunting out west. I love to hear a good race and watch a good pack of hounds work an old track. It seems that a lot of guys that were once coon and cat hunters are now hunting hogs. Slowly, we are seeing some of the guys come back to the hounds as hog hunting gets to be pretty expensive with all the vet bills.
                      There are still a few cat hunters in South Texas. Most of them are ranchers and they are not big on hunting with anyone other than their old buddies.
                      Adios,
                      Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                        I still breed and hunt blueticks. I train and keep them in shape hunting coons around Menard but my love is lion hunting out west. I love to hear a good race and watch a good pack of hounds work an old track. It seems that a lot of guys that were once coon and cat hunters are now hunting hogs. Slowly, we are seeing some of the guys come back to the hounds as hog hunting gets to be pretty expensive with all the vet bills.
                        There are still a few cat hunters in South Texas. Most of them are ranchers and they are not big on hunting with anyone other than their old buddies.
                        Adios,
                        Gary
                        I started with hog hunting with dogs and just don't hardly hunt anymore. I figure id try coon hunting to still get my working dog fix, with less hassle of all the stuff you have to have hog hunting.

Gary, I enjoy the heck out of all your Carnivore shows. Me and my son have watched all the ones with hounds several times over and over.

Comment

Thanks so much for watching CARNIVORE. The shows where we are using dogs are always hugely popular. Who doesn't love a dog????
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

Watched your show last night with the country singer chasing hogs with a knife ! good job Gary.

Comment

Thanks, she was pretty game as she had never been on a hog hunt with dogs.
                              I have been hunting a 10,000 acre ranch with my 6 grown hounds and having some great races. I have been getting to the ranch about 6:00 AM and hunting for 3-4 hours. For some reason or another, the coons are really running. It is not uncommon to trail them for half mile to a mile before jumping them and then going another half mile to a mile before getting them to climb or catching them on the ground.
                              The music has been great as the six bawl mouth dogs can really get to singing when the get the coon jumped. Great for the young dogs and getting the older ones in shape for lion season out west.
                              Adios,
                              Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X