Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Lightbulb East Texas Thoughts?

This is a "SERIOUS" request for information so EAST TEXAS residents input please. If you "used" to live in the area, comments as to perhaps why you left would also help us make our decision.

Momma and I in our retirement years have decided we are ready for more country and privacy...with all the conveniences of course.

My wife grew up in Clarksville until she was 10 and moved to Fort Worth. I grew up in Lubbock but we have both lived in Granbury since 2003. The DFW craziness has finally started to change Granbury into what we don't really want for the years to come. We had 24 acres near Granbury before and miss all that country life has to offer. Not interested in horse or cattle property in our "ole age," been there done that.

After countless searches on several real estate engines, it appears you can get more for your $$ in this area. Our criteria includes a minimal 2+- acres up to 25+- within 30+- minutes of shopping, medical, etc. We want trees, privacy and most of all in relative good areas if that even exists these days. Not really interested in building so prefer existing "non city" locations. "We are also looking at areas from Abilene south to Lampasas areas as well.

With the GS method of "telling it like it is," well, thought we could get some beneficial information.

Share your thoughts and experiences. NO Black Panther's needed in our search!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Lived in the Tyler area all my life. While it is a busy city, it doesn’t compare to the metromess, yet it offers just about everything a man needs. 1.5 hours to DFW, 1.5 hours to Shreveport/Bossier so a day trip to the big city isn’t unreasonable.

There are lots of smaller towns outside of Tyler within a 20-30 minute drive that have lots to offer as far as beautiful country. These areas also get much cheaper as far as real estate goes. Right now we live in Whitehouse, but once the kids grow up and get gone, I might be interested in venturing even a little further out. East Texas is just a convenient place to live without all the madness. I love it here.
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Lived in the Tyler area all my life. While it is a busy city, it doesn’t compare to the metromess, yet it offers just about everything a man needs. 1.5 hours to DFW, 1.5 hours to Shreveport/Bossier so a day trip to the big city isn’t unreasonable.

There are lots of smaller towns outside of Tyler within a 20-30 minute drive that have lots to offer as far as beautiful country. These areas also get much cheaper as far as real estate goes. Right now we live in Whitehouse, but once the kids grow up and get gone, I might be interested in venturing even a little further out. East Texas is just a convenient place to live without all the madness. I love it here.
Thank you! This is the feedback we are realistically looking for, bad or good!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
Thank you! This is the feedback we are realistically looking for, bad or good!
You’ll pay above a premium in Whitehouse or Bullard which are south of Tyler. Great communities though. A lot of it has to do with the school districts, but since you don’t have any youngins, that’s irrelevant.

Troup, Arp, Mineola, Lindale, Van, Canton, Brownsboro, Chandler are all good little communities outside of Tyler that will offer reasonably priced real estate.
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #5
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Lightbulb

Tyler and the surrounding areas are definitely NICE!!! Lived there for 3 years and bought 40 acres north of I-20 before we moved south. My wife is from deep NE Texas and basically hates it, but she "liked" Tyler but loves down here. I can understand it as she grew up in deep East Texas in the 70's and early 80's......and it is really hard for her to see the "forest for the trees!" Tyler has a exploding med center which has driven heavy retiree traffic to that area...…...which is good. Longview and the surrounding areas are not bad either. Being between DFW and Shreveport gives you lots of options also. Athens and Canton have really changed but that is getting you out of the pineywoods. Nacogdoches being a college town is not a bad choice either...…...
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I live outside the metropolis of Troup, population 1600 give or take, next town SE of Sleepy. I have 80 acres, so my closest neighbor is my son who lives around 600/700 yards to my NE. We’ve been here 23 years so there must be something we like here.

If I weren’t so damm old I’d move to Wyoming, but I am, so this is the next best place for me. I can’t blame you for wanting to move somewhere with less folks and less hassle, but I have to say that ETexas has the most discourteous drivers I’ve ever seen. I’ve had the occasion to go to Richardson about six times in the last month to a canine ophthalmologist and I swear those guys drive better than they do here. Faster, (oh yeah faster), but better We also have more litter thrown out on the highways than almost anywhere else I’ve ever been. If you can get past that, it’s a fair place to live.

Real estate around the immediate Tyler area is pretty expensive now, but when I bought this place it wasn’t. You can still find some raw land worth the money, but it requires some patience.

If I had to relocate somewhere in ETexas it would be S of Lufkin in the “sho nuff” Pineywoods. Big bucks live there !

Good luck in your search !

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 06-28-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 07:15 PM   #7
Maddox
Ten Point

We just purchased 70 acres outside of Lufkin in Apple Springs. We like it there. The people are nice and Lufkin is close and has most everything we need.
Maddox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
TWarren
Four Point

Hunt In: Panhandle and New Mexico

Get ready for the most miserable oppressive heat + humidity known to man. I grew up north of Tyler and despite all my family still living in the area it would take a cold day in hell to convince me to move back.
TWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 07:57 PM   #9
nacohunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches County, Cherokee County, Runnels County, Rusk County

I could be wrong, so anyone please correct me if I am, but look at adjacent counties and county property to larger cities. For example, Nacogdoches city is in Nacogdoches County. Property is cheaper in adjacent Rusk, Cherokee, San Augustine, Shelby counties which do not have any city over 15,000 in population. We cannot really count Angelina County because Lufkin is in Angelina County and it's one of the larger cities in East Texas. The downside is with larger cities, you get Lowe's, Super Walmart, Home Depot, etc., which are generally not in counties with smaller cities.
nacohunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 07:57 PM   #10
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Lufkin, Tyler, Jasper would be my choices for retirement due to proximity to docs/hospitals and all of the good fishing!
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #11
TxAg
Pope & Young

Shreveport wants you
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #12
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Lampasas area is nice. I live in Kempner, there are properties between us and lampasas. Lampasas has a nice little hospital with an ER.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 08:11 PM   #13
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Message sent.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 08:25 PM   #14
deerplanter
Ten Point

I grew up outside of Henderson tx, the only reason I left was for work. I'm considering moving back to the area after I retire in 6 years. My folks retired on lake Cherokee between Tatum and Longview, I would look in that area. My mother moved to Tyler after my dad passed and it's nicer but to busy for me but she loves it and they have great medical there.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #15
Captain39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

I grew up in Omaha, Texas 15 miles east of Mt. Pleasant. After college I never moved back because there just not many good jobs there. Many little towns are different. But my advice is check out each town your considering. I had friends who grew up in Winnsboro and Mt. Vernon, much nicer than the towns around Morris or Cass County where I grew up; but you get more real estate for your money in these places. Mt. Pleasant has everything you need, but the city itself looks pretty trashy now days; but if you fish, so many lakes in close proximity. I went to college at SFA, loved Nacogdoches; but most the towns on the outskirt are not that nice. Also check out Jefferson; if you still like to drink beer and have a good time.
Captain39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 08:35 PM   #16
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWarren View Post
Get ready for the most miserable oppressive heat + humidity known to man. I grew up north of Tyler and despite all my family still living in the area it would take a cold day in hell to convince me to move back.
Must be a Gilmer or maybe Lindale guy? …………...or maybe the metropolis of
Starville…….lol!!!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #17
TWarren
Four Point

Hunt In: Panhandle and New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Must be a Gilmer or maybe Lindale guy? …………...or maybe the metropolis of

Starville…….lol!!!
Close! Big Sandy
TWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #18
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWarren View Post
Close! Big Sandy

I know Big Sandy, but who doesn't?
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 09:01 PM   #19
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Granbury gets one PR and you have to move out

TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #20
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I know Big Sandy, but who doesn't?
Back in the day they all knew her, and her little spot on the railroad track.
She musta been some fine piece, is all I can say, being as how they named the town after her.
True story

I came out to Lake of The Pines from the metro mess, almost 8 yrs ago. Haven't regretted it a bit. Is one humid mother though at times. Good fishing too. Pines, Fork, and Twak all lined up in a row.

Last edited by MadHatter; 06-28-2019 at 09:13 PM.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 09:11 PM   #21
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

We love the San Augustine area. Thats where the wife and I want to move when we retire. Great hunting and two of the best fishing lakes(Rayburn and Toledo Bend)are only 25 to 30 min away. Center is about a 30 min drive and they pretty much have everything you need.
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #22
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Tyler has just about everything you could need

We live in Lindale and I grew up here. Land prices are getting stupid as the average is around $12k/ac on smaller tracts
I am sure that the majority of all the smaller communities around Tyler are the same

If I was looking in this area I would start 15mi outside the inner loop and work outward
Minneola, Quitman, Athens, Jacksonville and Canton would be good starting points and still keep you close enough to the benefits

I am sure there are other nice areas in the eastern part of the state but I only commented on what I know a little about
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2019, 11:12 PM   #23
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

X2 on Tyler area within 30 mile radius. I grew up in the sticks of Blackfoot, Tx south of Athens about 20 miles. I like Sleepy also live in Whitehouse. Land around Whitehouse & Bullard is not cheap. I’ve seen small tracts hitting $20k/acre. I’ve seen tracts up to 40 acres still holding $10k/acre. Bullard & Whitehouse real estate holds value well & fast sales due to great school districts.
If you head south of Tyler in the Jacksonville area land gets cheaper per acre with the same scenery.
Tyler is known for pretty good medical system which is something to consider for a retiree but also most any shopping & eats you will need
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 07:11 AM   #24
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

I grew up in Hughes springs but live/work in gilmer now. We moved here for the Friday night lights . Nah, we both got decent jobs here and got tired of the 40 minute commute. East Texas isn't bad and it's home but if I had a choice in a perfect world we'd be in the hill country. I don't see east Texas as "scenic". I hate pine trees and iron ore dirt but hey come on over lol
twistedmidnite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 07:43 AM   #25
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Have relatives in New Boston area, they love it
I’d prefer hill country but priced out for that part of Tx
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #26
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Big Sandy = Circle M !
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #27
scotth89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking yet again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Shreveport wants you

That place is trash.
scotth89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #28
TexanDuke
Six Point

Hunt In: Polk

My office is in Livingston, the people are great but you’re about 35 minutes from real civilization and real estate is overpriced. I’d look in an area around Lufkin like Apple Springs, Huntington or Diboll. Pretty land that is well priced. I have looked extensively the past 90 days and the areas I’ve mentioned have the best deals in that neck of the woods. Have clients in most of those towns and they all have nothing but good things to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexanDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #29
roughneck266
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bustling metropolis of Votaw

I live on the west side of Lufkin, in Hudson. If I had my druthers, I would be out around Apple Springs. Still close enough to Lufkin for pretty much anything you need, and not to expensive on land prices.
roughneck266 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #30
CharlieTX
Four Point

Hunt In: Clay County, Wood County, NM

Check Here.
Attached Images

CharlieTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #31
CharlieTX
Four Point

Hunt In: Clay County, Wood County, NM

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...48,10&qdm=true
CharlieTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #32
Paul
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Tyler and the surrounding areas are definitely NICE!!! Lived there for 3 years and bought 40 acres north of I-20 before we moved south. My wife is from deep NE Texas and basically hates it, but she "liked" Tyler but loves down here. I can understand it as she grew up in deep East Texas in the 70's and early 80's......and it is really hard for her to see the "forest for the trees!" Tyler has a exploding med center which has driven heavy retiree traffic to that area...…...which is good. Longview and the surrounding areas are not bad either. Being between DFW and Shreveport gives you lots of options also. Athens and Canton have really changed but that is getting you out of the pineywoods. Nacogdoches being a college town is not a bad choice either...…...

Where in deep Northeast Texas? I grew up in Linden.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #33
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth89 View Post
That place is trash.
Yup. My sister has lived there for 45 years and I'm hoping she moves when she retires.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 04:51 PM   #34
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Thanks everyone. Will use several posts for reference as we continue to research!!

Oh, love the hill country as well but talk about elevated pricing, just plain got stupid!!
Old 06-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #35
dagdog
Six Point

Hunt In: Haskell county

We’ve had a place on lake Palestine since 2009. We are 7 miles from Chandler. I enjoy Chandler as it has everything I need and when it doesn’t we head to Tyler. In Tyler there is everything you need from shopping to medical care. Land prices are going up but you can still find good buys. The Henderson county side of things is more affordable than Smith County.
dagdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #36
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

You could give me 2000 acres with an amazing house in East Texas and I wouldn't live there. Living there once in my life was enough. It's set back in time and not in a good way.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 06:16 PM   #37
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
You could give me 2000 acres with an amazing house in East Texas and I wouldn't live there. Living there once in my life was enough. It's set back in time and not in a good way.
And what exact futuristic things are you doing wherever you live that you couldn’t in Tyler or near Tyler?
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #38
Rustled Again
Six Point

Hunt In: Hext

I lived in Nacogdoches for 3 years going to the school of forestry. I felt semi claustrophobic the whole time. Loved the Piney woods but having been raised in Wyoming and west Texas I was accustomed to wide vistas. This was not east Texas. I moved.
Rustled Again is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #39
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
And what exact futuristic things are you doing wherever you live that you couldn’t in Tyler or near Tyler?
It's not what I can do it's who and what I can avoid.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #40
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
I am not sure where you lived but everyone there had problems except you? Or was it the few people you had dealings with personally? That is a rather broad brush you are using.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #41
TimA
Six Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Try Jacksonville. The real estate prices are not stupid comparatively speaking. Thirty minutes from Tyler and a couple of hours from Dallas (if you just HAVE to go there). Real ET living. Small but not too small.
TimA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #42
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post
Try Jacksonville. The real estate prices are not stupid comparatively speaking. Thirty minutes from Tyler and a couple of hours from Dallas (if you just HAVE to go there). Real ET living. Small but not too small.
It's on the list, thanks!
Old 06-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #43
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

We retired to a rural area in the pines on a piece of property we have owned for many years. It’s approximately 30 minutes from Lufkin and 40 minutes to Nacogdoches. If I had it to do over and it was my final move I would chose a location with major medical facilities within 30 minutes to an hour drive. Along with medical, closet to shopping and more choices of restaurants for the better half to keep her happy. Imho the Tyler area would be a great choice. Even though we have built a nice retirement home etc, imo we still have one more move before they put me in the ground. Good luck on your hunt for the ideal spot to fit your needs.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 07:31 PM   #44
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Keep 'em coming all..responses that is! This has really been a big help in our thought process. Thanks GS!!!
Old 07-01-2019, 07:35 AM   #45
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Well I live just outside of Fruitvale. That puts me roughly 60 miles east of Dallas, 10 miles north of Canton, and about 45 miles from Tyler. My mother is from here but the wife and I did not officially live here until a few years ago. Like anywhere there is good and bad about it. Where out house sits is only 50 acres but I have no road frontage and dive through my neighbors place to get back here. It is nice to be secluded but his place...well....when people first come to visit and see his place they expect to hear banjos......We also have a daughter that lives in Brownsboro. All in all it is a great area to live in. If you buy enough land then you do not have to worry about crappy neighbors. I would suggest buying a little more land if you could. You then lease it out to someone raising cows. You get a little money, you get your ag exception, and you get a little more privacy.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 07:18 AM   #46
Arrowthreat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

My mom's side all lives in east texas from Sulphur Springs to Pittsburg. My Grandpa still lives in Pittsburg, so I've spent a lot of my childhood out there. I grew up in different areas, but most of my time was spent in Llano. East texas is very different. Not in a bad way, but it's different. I Just moved from the same area you live in currently. Get ready for a change if you decide to go. Land is definitely cheaper out there as compared to most other areas in the state.

Last edited by Arrowthreat; 07-02-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 07:28 AM   #47
ArcherAG 93
Ten Point

We moved back to my wife's hometown of Lindale about 10 years ago. I grew up in Bullard. We spent several years away in Houston, San Antonio and Keller. It is definitely good to be back home. As mentioned, Lindale is a great town of around 5K in the city limits, with pretty much anything you need. It's a 15 minute drive to Tyler. Land prices are beginning to get out of hand, but it is a great place to live.
ArcherAG 93 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 07:44 AM   #48
locolobo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

I left Longview 45 yrs ago due to a total lapse of judgement. Was asked to leave my high school in my senior year. Moved to the coast, where my Dad lived, to finish school. Wound up working for a chemical company in the area and have made it home.
One other thing that kept me here is the weather. I know some here will laugh but the cold weather and ice storms in NE Tx in the winter was something found I could do without. Here it's just tropical weather/hurricanes.
locolobo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #49
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Thanks all for the comments and keep 'em coming.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #50
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

My dad has owned a farm in Hillister, TX (few miles south of Woodville) for about 20 years. I grew up on that farm every weekend and now I own a 20 acre property next to his property. I love it out there! I just moved out to Sugarland for a job about 2 months ago so its taking a bit to get used to but every time I go back to the farms I just keep talking myself into wanting to come back when my apartment lease is done. East Texas has views just like the hill country heck I love the country period no matter where I'm at. Rayburn and Toledo are just 45mins-1 hour away from me and Dam B Only 30 mins. Look around the Livingston, Woodville, or Warren areas properties aren't to badly priced compared to other areas. Both Beaumont and Lufkin are about an hour away as well. Also Woodville is one of the safest towns in the U.S. the last time I heard from online sources.
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top