No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting closer....few more weeks and I'll be up and after these guys again. Colorado high country public land OTC.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
      Getting closer....few more weeks and I'll be up and after these guys again. Colorado high country public land OTC.

Getting close!

I have meetings in Denver on Thursday and will spend this weekend up in the mountains on another test hike. I borrowed a Vortex spotter to pair with the Rx100. I'll test it out this weekend.

I put together and packaged some meals yesterday using my dehydrated ingredients (some combined with off-the-shelf items)

I made seafood chowder, Shepherds Pie, spaghetti w/meat sauce, venison stroganoff, chili, chili mac and cheese and burritos (to add to tortillas). I'll test a couple more of the meals this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Michael, you wanna prepare my meals? Looking good, amigo.

Comment

I feel extremely lazy now...

I walk by my dehydrated ever day.

Comment

That's awesome Michael!
            Could be a new side business!

Comment

Colorado Unit 61 is burning, 25k acres so far and only 19% containment. Has a decent stretch of Divide Road closed down.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                That's awesome Michael!
                Could be a new side business!

LOL! Heck NO!

I will gladly cook for my hunting partners or anybody that invites me to hunt with them, however!

Video uploaded.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Getting close!

I have meetings in Denver on Thursday and will spend this weekend up in the mountains on another test hike. I borrowed a Vortex spotter to pair with the Rx100. I'll test it out this weekend.

I put together and packaged some meals yesterday using my dehydrated ingredients (some combined with off-the-shelf items)

I made seafood chowder, Shepherds Pie, spaghetti w/meat sauce, venison stroganoff, chili, chili mac and cheese and burritos (to add to tortillas). I'll test a couple more of the meals this weekend.

Watch that weather Friday, monsoons are coming back and lightning could be an issue for you.
                  Great looking meals, carbs are your friend at altitude. You'll be burning mucho calories.

Comment

You're ahead of me. Just got the last of my clothes and still waiting for my tent. Did get my granola snack bar nailed down last weekend though

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Just a note: I have given up on trying to make a cow elk sound with a mouth call. I sound like a kitten or a gobbler or an old screen door. Not an elk.

Primos Hoochie Mamma....here I come.

Carry on with your thread.

Chew, Try the matriarch bite and blow call from Rocky Mountain calls. Super easy to use and sounds 100 times better than that Hootchie. For bugling try their Select a bull bugle tube. No diaphragm needed. I have always used a diaphragm call but a few years back I had some dental work that made me have to give them up. I switched to the calls above and haven't missed a beat. All the elk I have called in the last few years were using those.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Getting close!

I passed through Denver a couple of hours ago headed west to Utah. Man I70 over the mountains is a sight to see. Beautiful scenery.

Comment

After trying to decide between Colorado and Idaho for my first elk hunt, I finally took the dive and bought an elk A tag for the Island Park zone in Idaho. Success rates are around 20% for the unit I plan on hunting. I have a wall tent I can camp out of and lightweight stuff if I decide to stay in my hunting area. If anyone has any tips for this area, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
                            After trying to decide between Colorado and Idaho for my first elk hunt, I finally took the dive and bought an elk A tag for the Island Park zone in Idaho. Success rates are around 20% for the unit I plan on hunting. I have a wall tent I can camp out of and lightweight stuff if I decide to stay in my hunting area. If anyone has any tips for this area, I'd appreciate it.
                            Take a big gun, G. Bears come to calls faster than the Elk.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
                              Dont stress about Grizz and don’t over think sidearm size.

If you decide to carry spray, buy two, and pop the top on one when you get there so you are familiar, out side of that go have fun!!!
                              Last edited by Texans42; 08-17-2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Haha I bought some spray the other day, I'm hoping I'm far enough away from Yellowstone that I won't see any

Comment

Working...
                                X