Trailer Anti-Sway Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Anti-Sway Setup

My dad is about to buy travel trailer and plans to haul with a 1/2 ton. Haven't done much research but hit some posts that say they are definitely needed.

This is mostly a lease camper that will be drug around for a few vacations. Which hitch do you recommend and why?

Yes, definitely needed.

Comment

Which one about 80 versions available.

Comment

1/2 ton it is a must have

Comment

If he buying the trailer from a dealer they should be able to set him up with a hitch.

Comment

I have the Equalizer. It's a great system.

Comment

Originally posted by kdenhead View Post

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/
              I have the same. Works on my half ton and better on my wife's Tahoe. I don't have to disconnect anything to back up which is a plus.

Comment

The trailer that I pulled was just under 4000 lbs and the equalizer hitch raised the rear bumper about 3" when installed. Pulled much better with the truck level. I wouldn't pull a heavy trailer without one.

Comment

Originally posted by kdenhead View Post

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/
                  Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
                  I have the same. Works on my half ton and better on my wife's Tahoe. I don't have to disconnect anything to back up which is a plus.
                  X3

Comment

Another vote for the equalizer. Only negative to it is it makes some awful noise when turning

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                      Another vote for the equalizer. Only negative to it is it makes some awful noise when turning
                      Yep! Sounds like the barn is falling in! My son starts yellin'-camper pharts, camper pharts!!
                      Great hitches tho. Expensive tho. I got lucky and found a used one for much cheaper.

There's usually several on CL. If the trailer's not too big, just get one of regular chain up kind.
                      Last edited by Smokeater; 03-04-2017, 07:48 AM.

Comment

It's a 31' 6100 dry weight

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                          Light grease inside the square receptacles that the bars mate with. Will help a lot, that tip was given to me by the manufacturer.

Comment

Learn how to use it properly also....I see tons of trucks pulling trailers with these setup and they are not done correctly. It's made to "distribute" the weight through the receiver and frame. The anti-sway bars are a no brainer....especially when the wind gets up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                              Light grease inside the square receptacles that the bars mate with. Will help a lot, that tip was given to me by the manufacturer.
                              I agree, but manufacturers say that the friction is needed to control sway.

I grease it lightly.

Comment

Working...
                              X