The other Grasslands...Caddo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other Grasslands...Caddo?

Anyone hunt for hogs/turkey/deer at the Caddo Grasslands up near Telephone?

I"ve only been to Caddo (vs. LBJ) twice in one year. It's quite a different way of hunting than LBJ!
    I haven't seen any deer but tons of hogs, no turkeys, and some ducks coming in on the cold fronts.
    From Dallas where I live, it takes about the same amount of time to get to Caddo as it does LBJ so I may be up there quite a bit more. It's just a matter of where I point the truck when I get the urge, that and learning new areas and a different way of approaching the hunt! Pat

Comment

I've been to Caddo the first two weekends of the season. Found an area with plenty of rubs, tracks and scrapes. My son came over from Dyess AFB to hunt up there with me this past weekend. I took a nice fat doe and he got a 7 pt with about a 15" spread. The deer are there in good numbers but that will change as more gun fire echos through the place.

Comment

Dang...I forgot that I started this thread!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I may head up there after the season and try to scout for hogs.

Comment

Caddo hog & deer tips

Try Units 49 and 51 at Ladonia. Not many deer but a few biguns and some big hogs.

Also try the NW side of Unit 22 on the Bois D'Arc. It can only be accessed by boat up or down Bois D'Arc Creek. You have to put in where it crosses the highway. Few hunters. Lots of hogs and deer all thru that area. Adjoins a large managed ranch.

Don't drive off road anywhere if it's wet at all. First off it's illegal and second you can get stuck easy in that slimy soil.

Good luck.

Comment

Heres a couple bucks we took at the ladonia unit this year, the first in october the second during the rut. I posted them yesterday on the hunts forum and didn't even notice there was a forum dedicated to public land on here. We'll definitely try this place again next year a few times.

Comment

Nice public land deer, DFWarcher. Congrats to the headless-hunters!

Were there a lot of rifle hunters during the General season (other than opening weekend)? I'm not opposed to hunting where rifles are in the woods, just don't want to walk into a war-zone with a bow...that didn't work out so well for the American Indian.

Comment

We always avoid opening gun weekend at caddo and LBJ and head to cooper were its archery only the whole season.

Comment

Wow, thats real good for there.

Comment

No one else got anything out there this year?

Comment

Froggy, is there a place to park or launch a canoe or boat in Bois de'arc?

Comment

where is caddo hunting lands located

Comment

There hasn't been much talk about you guys hunting Caddo this year, any news guys?

I was able to acquire a Caddo map from the 80's which is much more detailed than any of the maps I have been able to find recently. I scaned it in to send to texasmeathunter, and figured I would share it here as well.

Comment

Thanx for the map, wonder they don't issue these anymore?

Comment

Great Place to hunt, folks there are really nice and if you ask them they will tell you the 411 on all the wildlife they see moving!

Comment

Working...
                              X