Covert solar panel + enloops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    I can't help you with that exact card....but you do realize that 64GB is about 30,000 pics storage set at 8MP?... right? Maybe even a little more.

Also there is an overwrite button that lets you overwrite the oldest pics if your card does become full. Now I set mine strictly for the wireless part and have it on constant overwrite so I never touch the 8GB card. I have a real TC camera to taking my pics every minute during season so I dont miss anything...because with my signal the Covert can't process it fast enough to take a pic every 1-2 minutes. It runs best on every 4 minutes or greater.
    Exactly...a 32 GB card would easily last almost a year

Comment

Originally posted by DowneyDigs View Post
      I am really interested in seeing your setup @gingib! I just bought a Covert Code Black and am trying to determine the best solution for power. I’m not sure that solar will have adequate sunlight due to thick pine trees in the area, so I’m trying to find more information on using auxiliary battery/batteries. I’ve read through forums for days, and your solution sounds like the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Plenty of info on here

5w 12v panel, 12v 8-9 AH battery, cheap rechargeables, ammo box, 12-6v covert cord, and a controller

Done me well no complaints going on 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        Plenty of info on here

5w 12v panel, 12v 8-9 AH battery, cheap rechargeables, ammo box, 12-6v covert cord, and a controller

Done me well no complaints going on 2 years

What’s the controller for?

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
          What’s the controller for?

a 5w panel is fairly strong. To keep it from overcharging I believe.

You can use a 2-3w panel without it, but when days turn short and cloudy it may dip below 100%

Comment

Originally posted by DowneyDigs View Post
            Since we’re talking about the Covert Code Black in this forum, I will give another update regarding my new 2018 Code Black LTE. Hopefully this information will be helpful to someone now or in the future.

I finally got my Code Black LTE up and running. I am using the Amazon Basics High-Capacity (2,400 mAh) batteries as recommended in this forum, and a SanDisk 64GB SDXC card (more on this below). I will be adding supplemental 12V power and/or solar as soon as I make a decision on which will be best for me after I find the best spot to hang and conceal the camera.

Now that my new LTE is up and running, I can not get it to transmit photos or communicate with the portal/app. It is giving an error message “Error:22 No SD Card” when I try to manually send a test photo (Note that I do indeed have a SD card installed). Also, it will not download/install firmware updates. I called Covert Support for assistance with resolving this issue. After some troubleshooting and a few questions, I was advised that this issue is due to the type of SD card being used. Keep in mind that one of the improvements for the 2018 model is that it will support a 64GB SD card, whereas previous models would only support up to 32GB. However, Covert Support has now informed me that the 2018 WILL NOT support SDXC cards, and that it will only support SD or SDHC cards. I was instructed to buy a compatible card and call back if I had any issues after the new card was installed. I searched and searched and searched online. From what I could find, there is no such thing as a 64GB SD or 64GB SDHC card. All I can find is SDXC. So, I called Covert Support again and spoke to a different person. This person very confidently informed me that he/she has argued this with numerous customers and that I was wrong. They advised that I can easily find a 64GB SD or 64GB SDHC card online, and that they have recently purchased one themselves from Walmart.com. I asked them to email me a link for my reference, as I was unable to locate anything after looking on my own. After several minutes of trying to locate a link to send to me, they reluctantly admitted that they were unable to find anything. The call ended with them taking my email address, and promising to continue searching for a compatible 64GB SD or SDHC card to share with me. 1.5 hours later and I still have not received an email. I continued my search after the phone call, and have yet to find such a thing. According to numerous articles and blog postings that I have read, SD = <2GB; SDHC = 2GB-32GB; and SDXC = >32GB. I realize that a simple solution would be to just buy a 32GB card, but the storage capacity was one of many reasons that I bought this camera over other models and other brands. Can anyone in the forums assist with this?

TL;DR
            2018 Code Black LTE is supposed to support a 64GB memory card, but will not support SDXC type memory cards. I am unable find a compatible (SD or SDHC) 64GB memory card, and so far Covert Support can’t recommend one either.

Been talking to SanDisk Support. They confirmed that there is no such thing as a 64GB SDHC card. SD, SDHC, and SDXC refers to the capacity.

SD = 128MB to 2GB
            SDHC = 4GB to 32GB
            SDXC = 64GB to 2TB

The primary differences between memory cards is capacity and class (speed). They (SanDisk) did suggest a class 10 (10MB/s) memory card, and indicated that my card (4MB/s) may not be the most compatible with a trail camera.

Armed with this new knowledge, I called Covert Support again. Same person answered who had previously insisted that I could easily buy a 64GB SDHC card online from walmart.com. I informed them that there is no such thing as a 64GB SDHC, and asked if they have any further recommendations. They admitted that they were mistaken about the card they had purchased, and had confirmed that it was indeed a 32GB SDHC card. They spoke with a product engineer who informed them that there is a known issue with the 2018 cameras and 64GB cards. As of now the 2018 cameras DO NOT support 64GB memory cards. They are hoping to resolve it in the future, and are hopeful that they can fix it with a firmware release. Until then, we will be limited to 32GB of storage.

I also asked about recommended class ratings for memory cards, and Covert recommends a Class 10. Their Covert branded memory cards are 32GB SDHC, Class 10.

I agree that 32GB is a lot of photos, but I am considering possibly using video. Also, regardless of whether I use photo or video, I will be using my cam for security more than hunting. It will be mixed use, because it will be looking across both a road and a pipeline right-of-way where I hunt. The road just so happens to also be the driveway to my house. I want as much data as possible in case any security event ever does happen.

TL;DR
            Covert support and engineers confirmed that the 2018 Covert Code Black LTE can not support 64GB memory cards. 32GB is max capacity. Recommend 32GB, Class 10 memory card.

Comment

For those with the new 2018 model Code Black, how are you liking it? I haven't put mine out yet. The AT&T signal is very weak where I want to use mine and I'm concerned that it might not even work. What about the battery life?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                For those with the new 2018 model Code Black, how are you liking it? I haven't put mine out yet. The AT&T signal is very weak where I want to use mine and I'm concerned that it might not even work. What about the battery life?

I don't have the 2018....but two things....

1. Your Covert antenna is much stronger than your cell phone so if you have a weak signal for your phone, you'll have better signal with your Covert. At least that has been my experience.

2. They make an extended antenna. I use one in my favorite blind but the stock antenna is fine in the other 3 spots we use them

Comment

I had purchased an external antenna for my old Code Black, do you know if the connection is the same for the 2018 model? If so, I'll have to see if I can find it.
                  I don't have the 2018....but two things....

1. Your Covert antenna is much stronger than your cell phone so if you have a weak signal for your phone, you'll have better signal with your Covert. At least that has been my experience.

2. They make an extended antenna. I use one in my favorite blind but the stock antenna is fine in the other 3 spots we use them

Comment

I had purchased an external antenna for my old Code Black, do you know if the connection is the same for the 2018 model? If so, I'll have to see if I can find it.

My old code black is a little vague so I can't really answer that. I know the antenna I bought for my 2016 does. Its just a mini coax female connection just like the stock antenna.

Comment

My old code black is a little vague so I can't really answer that. I know the antenna I bought for my 2016 does. Its just a mini coax female connection just like the stock antenna.
                      Mine is around a 2012 model.

Comment

Mine is around a 2012 model.

no idea that far back.... the new ones can be had for around $25 ....

Comment

My cameras shows hanging around the 40% mark i just started the solar panel and eneloops so not sure if that’s normal or not...?

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                            My cameras shows hanging around the 40% mark i just started the solar panel and eneloops so not sure if that’s normal or not...?
                            You’ll be fine. Wait a day or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                              You’ll be fine. Wait a day or so.

Ok thanks [emoji1360][emoji1374]

Comment

Anybody have a problem with the power port not making connection? I have a few that have quit making connection to external battery. I have swapped cords, batteries, etc. I have a message into Covert for support, but may not hear from them until next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X