7.62x39/AR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7.62x39/AR?

I'm thinkin about getting a different upper in 7.62x39. How many of y'all have one or have had one chambered in this cartridge? What ammo is available for huntin and how accurate was it out of your AR? I'd use it for hogs,coyotes and other varmints inside of 150 yards.

I strongly suggest the PWS (Primary Weapons System) upper. They are pricey but pay once, cry once. Also, C-Products mags are a must. Hornady makes a hunting round.

Comment

I have one. Haven't hunted it. Just wanted something different. A friend of mine has a really nice one and recently was out to the place and smoked a doe with it. I will try to post what ammo he was using.

Comment

I’ve got 2. One is a 16” palmetto state and the other is a 10.5”
        Radical that I run suppressed. I did buy enhanced firing pins from black rifle arms and I run c product mags. They are both set up with thermals so I sighted them in at 50yds and they gave me groups around 1” which I think is good for the hunting I do.

I shoot 124gr tulammo softpoints and have had great luck on pigs. With as much shooting as we do and taking buddies hunting I just can’t justify spending over $1 a round on pigs. I just got 480 rounds of the tulammo shipped to my house for like $135

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
          I’ve got 2. One is a 16” palmetto state and the other is a 10.5”
          Radical that I run suppressed. I did buy enhanced firing pins from black rifle arms and I run c product mags. They are both set up with thermals so I sighted them in at 50yds and they gave me groups around 1” which I think is good for the hunting I do.

I shoot 124gr tulammo softpoints and have had great luck on pigs. With as much shooting as we do and taking buddies hunting I just can’t justify spending over $1 a round on pigs. I just got 480 rounds of the tulammo shipped to my house for like $135
          Does the TulAmmo feed pretty good? I saw where Hornady has the SST as was mentioned. I'd just as soon shoot the cheaper hollowpoints or softpoint ammunition. The only thing that'd really make me think twice about it is the stories you hear of shooting the Russian made ammunition in AR's and whatnot. I'd most likely shoot the brass cased ammunition instead of the steel.

Thanks y'all. I didn't think to ask which magazines were the best.

Comment

I’ve had 0 issues so far with light primer strikes or any type of jams. I’ve probably got a little over 100 rounds through them so far (switched over from 223 and 300blkout)I run them pretty lubed up and think the enhanced firing pin has helped prevent the light primer strikes you hear about with Russian steel case Ammo.

Hornady makes some steel cased SST that you can get at academy. I want to say it’s around $30 for a box of 50.

Not sure what your budget is but I’ve also read good things about the hardened arms 7.62 uppers. They seem pretty well priced also

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
            Does the TulAmmo feed pretty good? I saw where Hornady has the SST as was mentioned. I'd just as soon shoot the cheaper hollowpoints or softpoint ammunition. The only thing that'd really make me think twice about it is the stories you hear of shooting the Russian made ammunition in AR's and whatnot. I'd most likely shoot the brass cased ammunition instead of the steel.

Thanks y'all. I didn't think to ask which magazines were the best.

Comment

As a question it is my understanding the Russian ammo is .311 and our American 7.62xX39 is 308. How can the Russian .311 be used in a 308 bore? It’s my understanding this can cause bore issues if somone would help I would appreciate it thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                I’ve had 0 issues so far with light primer strikes or any type of jams. I’ve probably got a little over 100 rounds through them so far (switched over from 223 and 300blkout)I run them pretty lubed up and think the enhanced firing pin has helped prevent the light primer strikes you hear about with Russian steel case Ammo.

Hornady makes some steel cased SST that you can get at academy. I want to say it’s around $30 for a box of 50.

Not sure what your budget is but I’ve also read good things about the hardened arms 7.62 uppers. They seem pretty well priced also
                That's good to know you haven't had any trouble with that ammo. I looked at the ammo options and the Wolf HP's caught my attention. If I can avoid blowing hides apart on coyotes I'd rather do that.

I haven't really looked at different options as far as uppers go. There's gobs of them I'm sure. That's the trouble with these AR's. There's so many dadgum parts and accessories and different options to choose from it starts to run together after a while. I'll check hardened arms out. The only one I'd really looked at or know about was Bear Creek Arsenal. I haven't dove too deep into the research part of it yet.

Wait....I said I'll check hardened arms out. I mean the upper. Not actual hard arms....that sounds.....not good.

Comment

Bought the complete upper from sota arms. $400 to my door. Shoots great. Hornady make a hunting round. Believe it’s 123 grain SST.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post

Bought the complete upper from sota arms. $400 to my door. Shoots great. Hornady make a hunting round. Believe it’s 123 grain SST.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-
                    Nice! What magazines are you running in yours?

Comment

Man bud I can’t think of them off the top of my head. I’ll have to look and let you know when I get back to the house in a few days.

Comment

I had one and used the Silver Bear softpoint in it. Killed a few pigs and a coyote or two. Mine goobered up the bullet points pretty bad loading and unloading the top round. I moved on to the 6.8 SPC and it's a hog hammer. Killed a couple axis does with it too and lots of coyotes. I bought two AKs to feed my 7.62X39 habit.

Comment

C products is the ticket based on my research. I have two 10s and a 20 laying with the rest of my parts so I can’t say how they feed yet. Sub $0.30 per round even from academy has me thinking it’s all worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I emailed Citizen Arms about an upper:

Martin,

Depending on a few factors--where it is being shipped to, method of payment--a very 7.62x39 upper from me will run in the $1105 range. That setup would include:
                            • 16" nitrided barrel, 1:10 twist, carbine gas
                            • A2 flash hider/comp (5/8-24)
                            • Geissele lo pro SGB gas block (pinned and screwed)
                            • 12" MI freefloat with full top rail (Key Mod)
                            • Flat top A3 upper, forged
                            • Standard charging handle
                            • Toolcraft nitrided BCG with 9310 bolt, enhanced extractor and spare extractor
                            • 1 x 28 rd magazine, manual, test targets
                            • Fully accurized and tested for accuracy and function
                            • sub-MOA accuracy guarantee with select factory ammunition
                            • Shipping within CONUS
                            • A difference freefloat option is a 13" ALG Defense EMR V3, which has the full top rail and is M-lok compatible. That would add about $50. Everything is subject to what's legal where you live of course. We can change those components as desired--I have quite a few upgrades. If you want to see some of those options I can send you my quote form, which will allow me to give you a to-the-penny quote. Let me know if you have any questions. Than
                            ks

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
                              Man bud I can’t think of them off the top of my head. I’ll have to look and let you know when I get back to the house in a few days.

It's all good man.

Comment

Working...
                              X