Creedmoor to PRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creedmoor to PRC

Can you take a rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and re-cut the chamber to run the 6.5 PRC cartridge? Asking for a friend (Don't need info on COAL and magazine box/feeding issues) Thanks!

Edit: This is a bolt gun FYI
    Last edited by tanto; 01-16-2019, 01:28 PM. Reason: extra info.

I believe that the prc requires a magnum bolt face

Comment

Originally posted by Txsurveyor2014 View Post
      I believe that the prc requires a magnum bolt face
      Yup that's right. PRC case is based on the 300 RCM case and has a larger dia. case head. Still not sure on the geometry in regards to the shoulders on the 2 cartridges in question. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

It’s definitely a big step up in performance.

Comment

As long as the OD of your barrel shoulder isn’t too small, a good Smith should be able to push the chamber forward to accommodate for the larger case/shoulder. Then open up the bolt face to a magnum, install a sako or m16 extractor and you’re good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
            As long as the OD of your barrel shoulder isn’t too small, a good Smith should be able to push the chamber forward to accommodate for the larger case/shoulder. Then open up the bolt face to a magnum, install a sako or m16 extractor and you’re good to go.

True story

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpg View Post
              It’s definitely a big step up in performance.
              I respectfully disagree; with a fast powder in creedmoor it's so close it's almost within SD.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
                You also have to open the feed rails to accept the larger diameter cartridge.

At some point you have to ask is all this work worth the performance gain.

I'd consider buying or building from the ground up in the prc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure your action and mag box are long enough.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                    I respectfully disagree; with a fast powder in creedmoor it's so close it's almost within SD.
                    What powders are you figuring will push a CM to over 3,100 fps with a 147/150 gr pill?

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                      What powders are you figuring will push a CM to over 3,100 fps with a 147/150 gr pill?
                      Pixie Dust!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                        You also have to open the feed rails to accept the larger diameter cartridge.

At some point you have to ask is all this work worth the performance gain.

I'd consider buying or building from the ground up in the prc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                        Originally posted by Six0show View Post
                        Make sure your action and mag box are long enough.

I guess this sentence slipped right by y’all...
                        (Don't need info on COAL and magazine box/feeding issues)”

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                          Ya, cause it makes sense for Hornady to invest all the time and money into producing a new cartridge (6.5 prc) when the 6.5 creedmoor (Hornady’s top selling cartridge) is “so close its almost within the same SD”.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                            C’mon Robert, you didn’t know that you can fit 70 grns of H4350 in a CM if you trickle it just right?

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                              C’mon Robert, you didn’t know that you can fit 70 grns of H4350 in a CM if you trickle it just right?

You're right, I totally forgot about the 6 foot drop tube method

Comment

Working...
                              X