Old Mexico Reminder Popped Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Mexico Reminder Popped Up

I was cleaning out a closet today and came across a reminder of my time in Old Mexico in the late 80s and 90s.

For the youngsters here this contraption is a cell phone called a "Bag Phone". I can remember climbing up in the tallest tower stand on the ranch at night to try to make a call back home. These old bag phones had a definite watt advantage over the smaller phones that existed at that time. I don't remember the details now but what ever operating system they worked on was abandoned in the early 2000s.

This thing made phone calls only and weighs about 5 pounds, tech has come a long way..!

My company issued me one in 1995. I was told not to use it unless I had an emergency. Cost per minute was very high.

Comment

Wife had one back in the early nineties
      She moved out to the country and her grandmother was worried about her and bought her one
      Dang sure didn't talk on it much

Hear they have some value because they can be adapted to current tech and are more capable of getting a signal in "weak" areas

Comment

I had two of those stolen. But it was the best option at the time.

And it wouldn’t text or email

Comment

I remember those!

I saw an old picture of me the other day and had to think for a minute about what was sticking out of my pocket. A pager! Times sure have changed!

Comment

Yep, first cell phone I ever had. My partner had one that was older than that. It had a battery as big as a lawn mower battery !
            In those days you learned pretty quickly where you had to be to talk and you went there and parked until your call was over. Ah, the good old days !

Comment

I remember them working in areas where today's phones don't. Ahhh, back in the day when a phone actually allowed you to do what they were invented for...make a dang phone call.

Comment

Comment

That was the first "cellphone" I had in high school and I was in high school in the mid 2000s. Think my dad did that to mess with me partially...Almost miss not being able to get in touch with so easy. Also made me a wizard at memorizing phone numbers.

Comment

I kept one of those in my offshore boat many years after retiring it from daily use
                    It would still work for 911 ,SOS and PAN PAN calls with out dedicated service and came in handy once or twice

It would also work almost any where we needed emergency services in south and west Texas
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-22-2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X