No announcement yet.

String Trackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use both, I have a set ofnbottles I got a year ago and they last a good while, before that I couldn't find the two part skunk scent, swear by the stuff. I use a sewed up sock to hold my string tracker to my bow... Works great.

Both the skunk scent and string tracker were both products I used alot until the got hard to find. I was raised using skunk as cover.... Now just driving by road kill skunk reminds me of hunting

Comment

Draco, are you still using the Foggy Mountian brand of skunk scent?

Thanks,
      Matt

Comment

No Matt, I found out that the two part is being made again. It's being made by some relatives of Tex Isbell, the originator, in Temple. It's called Skunk Fusion now and it's a little pricy but I bought it any way. It smells exactly like skunk too. I hunted this evening and the wind changed right before sun down. I had 18 deer come in, all from straight down wind. Not a snort in the bunch.

Comment

Bob, how do you place the skunk scent when you use it?

Rick

Comment

That was my next question as well. How do you use it when hunting ground blinds versus tree stands? Any experience you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
            Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
              No Matt, I found out that the two part is being made again. It's being made by some relatives of Tex Isbell, the originator, in Temple. It's called Skunk Fusion now and it's a little pricy but I bought it any way. It smells exactly like skunk too. I hunted this evening and the wind changed right before sun down. I had 18 deer come in, all from straight down wind. Not a snort in the bunch.
              Thanks for letting us know it was being made again. I got some on order and anyone interested here is a link.

Comment

Will this string tracker work on compound bows?

Comment

Originally posted by Alley Dog View Post
                  Will this string tracker work on compound bows?
                  Yes! You just have to make sure the line will not catch on any part of the bow (stabilizer, sights, etc.). I have shot lots of hogs with a string tracker way back in the day when I was shooting a compound.

Bisch

Comment

No, it will not work on a compound. You must use a stick bow, and a pretty one to boot.

Comment

By ground blinds do you mean tent blinds? If so, I have no idea as I don't own any or hunt of them. Sorry.

Comment

Looking for info on string trackers and I stumbled on to this old thread. I also managed to find a company still making the replacement spools at what seems like a good price.

3 rolls for $20.97

Comment

That's a good price.

Comment

Last time I used a string tracker it was on a compound and it screwed into the stabilizer hole, don't remember the brand. In those days I shot with an open grip. Windy day got a shot at a very nice 8pt at 12 yards. Not known to me the string blew over my index finger just before the shot and the drag from it cutting my finger almost 1/8 inch deep was enough drag the arrow hit just behind his front feet. The cut did not bleed s it was cauterized. These days I just trust my dogs nose to find the deer for me.

Comment

I have one on order. Like I said, the sandy soil at our place can be tough to blood trail in. I'm getting older and my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Especially blood trailing in low light or by flashlight.

Comment

I bought a string tracker and two spools from Drifter directly. Easy peasy. Chad wrote a handwritten thank you, loaded and flaked a spool, tied the tracker onto a tree limb to demonstrate mounting and sprinkled copious amounts of evergreen needles throughout the package (I reckon for scent cover). I like trading with folk like that.

Draco...thanks for sharing your string tracker design and tips.
                                Last edited by Briar Friar; 09-10-2017, 03:54 PM. Reason: ThanksSpake

Comment

Working...
                                X