Draw length epiphany.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw length epiphany.

My shooting has started to deteriorate. Practice sessions just ended with me getting mad. I got really mad about my performance at the last shoot. Nothing was feeling right. My draw and shot felt like uncontrolled madness!
    Tuesday evening I was outside getting mad when I thought about something to try. I only drew to the corner of my mouth and locked my thumb behind my jaw. This shortened my draw pretty dramatically. I released. I instantly said aloud, “that felt great”! The arrow sailed into the bullseye. I did it again. This arrow slammed into the first. Shot a few more all good shots. Had my wife video to see if my elbow was pointed out, nope, straight with the arrow. Every day after that my shooting has improved.

I post this to give people something to try if their shooting has went to crap unexpectedly. It may not work for everyone but I was overdrawing! To the tune of over 30”. Much more comfortable, not slapping my arm anymore, and much more accurate. Didn’t want to say anything as to not jinx it but I also thought about someone in the same boat. If your shooting gone to crap, reevaluate your draw. I was still using my anchor but I was also extending my fingers back to it. Essentially over bowing myself and shaking like a leaf.

If I start shooting left you can bet I'm overdrawing. Something I've fought since the beginning.

Comment

I was doing the same thing last night. Fighting a pect bruise and over compensating. Tonight I focused on my anchor and release and popped a nock on my third shot.
      Funny how it's always something simple that frustrates the heck out of ya.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I do pretty much the same.

Index finger on tooth in corner of mouth.

Thumb locked below & behind jaw.
        I'm almost holding my the back of my jaw bone with my right hand the same as I hold my bow with the left.

Nose on upper outside hen fletch for consistent head position.

Rick

Comment

It took me months to find an anchor point that I could repeat and that felt comfy. Mine is like others here in that I use the knuckle of my thumb at the corner of my jaw.

Comment

I think I would notice if I was over drawing by over 30"...

I shot more comfortably when I opened my stance which also shortened my draw by about 1/2" from 27.5 - 27". Also made sitting down shots more comfortable, etc.

Comment

Ken, hard to imagine your shooting deteriorating. I am going to try that this evening.
              Also, gonna try what Rick said about index finger on a tooth.

Comment

Gotta love those form epiphanies! When my shooting deteriorates it is often the opposite problem - underdrawing - usually due to head movement. There is no limit to the number of ways to screw up a trad shot is there?

Comment

You are right John! I find a new one just about every day.

Comment

I've been considering playing with my anchor point again. Currently laying the first thumb knuckle on my ear lobe. It's hard to get a good line down the arrow that way and the eyeglasses have clearance problems. Most of my bows are four or five pounds too heavy anyway, so shortening the draw should work well.

Comment

This helped with my shooting this weekend inside. I was drawing my middle finger knuckle to my mouth, and then making sure my thumb knuckle was behind my jaw. Just tried switching to index finger knuckle to mouth and must have just brought my shoulders inline better, as I'm shooting a lot more consistently suddenly.

Comment

"Index finger on tooth in corner of mouth."

Sorry this made me laugh... sounds like there is only one.

Comment

Madelina

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X