Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyboidy use a Thompson Center Compass or Savage Axis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyboidy use a Thompson Center Compass or Savage Axis?

I've been looking to get an economical 22-250 for the past year or so and just have never pulled the trigger. It would mostly be used for popping does and pigs in the ear and varmints if I even made the effort. I don't want to put a grand into the rifle itself as it will just be a tool to get some culling done when needed. I also prefer synthetic stocks so I don't need fancy for this usage.

I have been eyeing the Savage Axis but saw where Cabelas had a pretty good deal with a rebate for the TC Compass going on and the aesthetics look much better compared to the Axis. I was wondering if anybody could give me their experience with accuracy/trigger/feel etc of the Compass and the Axis? In searching the web it seems split on what folks favor. Thanks fellas.

Kentucky gun company, 272.83, but will need ffl. Cabelas will be 300$ plus tax.
    I have one in 243, and like it so far. Trigger is adjustable, though not easily. You have three nuts to adjust compared to just turning on set screw.

Comment

Bought my wife the axis and it's killed around 40 animals since last September. Hers has the accutrigger. Great gun.

Comment

I don't have any experience with the TCs, but I have a Axis in .223. It is in my opinion a good rifle for the money. I have since put it in a boyds stock (the stock and trigger are the two things that really need improvement IMO) I clipped the trigger spring and polished it and it improved it a lot. I have sense put a rifle basix trigger in mine and it is awesome. It is a cool rifle to tinker with. Cheap up front cost and it is easy to work on and do mods to as you can later down the road. Also no worries about hurting the value of it because it is a cheap rifle to begin with. I have really enjoyed mine and I developed a load for mine that will drive tacks. All around I am glad I bought it.

*Edit the Axis I have was prior to the models with the accutrigger. It just had their basic trigger which at a minimum IMO needs a trigger job. I have another savage that is a higher end rifle with the accutrigger and it is a good trigger and adjusts well. I really do love that rifle basix trigger I put in my Axis though. It is a great trigger.
        Last edited by galaxy5oo; 09-28-2017, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Don't know much about the TC but the Savage would be a good choice as would a Ruger American.

Comment

Bought Wife a Savage Axis .243 Left Hand Youth. She isn't short but left eye dominant right handed and Youth fit her better. She has killed everything she has ever shot at, 4 bucks or so and many hogs. All D E A D. I did the trigger trick as this isn't the Axis II and no AccuTrigger. It is 100 yd golf Ball accurate all day.

I had a TC Venture .338 WM. TC had adj. Trigger, Axis doesn't. Didn't know about the TC Bolt guns when bought Savage. Wouldv'e still bought the Savage. But I am considering getting the TC Venture back and playing with it.

Comment

Smart, I have a Savage Axis in 22-250. I bought it for a truck gun also. Been really impressed with this rifle. The trigger is rough but manageable. Have killed critters out to 300 yards. I have nicer rifles but this has turned into my favorite rifle. I spray painted mine for coyote hunting. Good luck.

Comment

Look at the Ruger American. Better quality than the Axis. I own both.

Comment

I was shooting my buddies youth .243 savage axis last weekend. Let me just say that is the WORST trigger I have ever pulled. It does group well if you can manage to get the trigger to squeeze. Have a couple buddies with the TC's and they like them, trigger is better for sure. If I bought one of those savage's I would immediately take it in for a trigger job before I ever shot it.

Comment

I have a Savage Axis 2 with the wood stock in 22-250. Very accurate. My buddy has one in .223 but his doesn't have the wood stock. I haven't shot his yet but he says it's plenty accurate.

Mine doesn't have a bad trigger on it. I've shot several coyotes with it and a few offhand even. I got it in a raffle for $60 so I ain't complaining.

Comment

Thanks fellas! Keep them coming.

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                      I have a Savage Axis 2 with the wood stock in 22-250. Very accurate. My buddy has one in .223 but his doesn't have the wood stock. I haven't shot his yet but he says it's plenty accurate.

Mine doesn't have a bad trigger on it. I've shot several coyotes with it and a few offhand even. I got it in a raffle for $60 so I ain't complaining.
                      I was under the impression that the Savage Axis II has the accutrigger which I am a fan of. Little more than the regular Axis but does have the accu-trigger....correct?

Comment

I ordered an Axis - a left hand youth model. I had not done my research. I thought I was getting a gun with the accutrigger in it. Nope, that's the Axis II. I can't believe a company would sell a gun with as horrible of a trigger as this thing had! 15 pounds, with creep. Coughed up another $100 for the Timney replacement and polished things up when I was in there. Nice trigger now. Have not been to the range since then to see how it shoots.

Comment

I bought my daughter Axis II 22-250 stainless with weaver kaspa scope pkg. from bench at 100yds, it will dang near cut the same hole with Hornady 55gr vmax. Havent had a chance to kill anything yet but its a shooter. I did shoot a hog a touch far back with the vmax, blew up on his side about size of a softball. No blood. not sure if he died or not.

Yes it has accutrigger. I want the ruger American ranch in either 223 or 300blk. you wont regret the savage.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                            Kentucky gun company, 272.83, but will need ffl. Cabelas will be 300$ plus tax.
                            I have one in 243, and like it so far. Trigger is adjustable, though not easily. You have three nuts to adjust compared to just turning on set screw.
                            Cabela's had a deal on them in Waco 250.00 with

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Thanks fellas! Keep them coming.

I was under the impression that the Savage Axis II has the accutrigger which I am a fan of. Little more than the regular Axis but does have the accu-trigger....correct?
                              Yes sir it does. Straight out of the box it was very accurate. I shot two bullets through the same hole practically at 100 yards. The only thing I had trouble with was the scope that was on it but you might have better luck. It's like an $80 scope or something like that so I wasn't too surprised. I planned on putting something different on it anyways so it wasn't too big of a deal. Other than that it shoots great with a good quality scope on it.

I can't remember what it's titled but I think I started a thread asking about bullets to shoot in it if I remember correctly.

Oh yeah I was asking how 50 grain bullets shoot in a 1:12 twist.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 09-28-2017, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X