Tree Stand Safety Harness Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree Stand Safety Harness Options

I typically hunt from a climbing tree stand and use an old traditional under the armpit safety harness once I shimmy up the tree. Nothing beats spending time in a tree during archery season, but thinking it's time for a safer option than the armpit harness.....

I tried a friends HSS full vest last year and it seemed so heavy and bulky, so I'm thinking about the HSS Ultra Light Extreme - they seem to run around $110. Any thoughts or reviews on the ultra light extreme vs others on the market (tree spider, HSS pro series, etc)?

I am with you on the bulky vests. I have used a HSS for Tree Stalker for years and it holds scent pretty bad. Ijust ordered a Muddy a few days ago on the recommendations from some guys on here. The HHS Ultralite is pretty sweet and so are the Gorillas but they are $140 or so. I wll let you mkow next week when I get mine.

I did buy a Pro Series a few weeks and field tested it when I went to pull astand. HOT as HECK!

Comment

I shed the HSS Reverable vest last year for the new Ultra Lite. Well worth the money in MHO. I weighed it with my digital fish scales and it weighed right as advertised, 2.5 lbs. I do wish it were camo for early season like the UL Extreme. Haven't tried the new UL Extreme yet. But I'm sure it beats the vest and is close to advertised weight. Got a few more comforts to it too.

Comment

I like the gorilla safety harness, light, and not hot

Comment

I have a HSS Tree Stalker and I will be going with one of the newer / simpler harnesses that are not so hot

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the high end brands (HSS, MUDDY, Gorilla, etc)

Matter of fact, I wonder if I can just pull all the extra material off of the Tree Stalker??
          Going to check on that when I get home tonight

Comment

I had the SOP harness, and gave it away. Bought the HSS Ultralite. Overall review would be not bad. I really like the flat buckles on the leg straps, but really dislike the hot straps that go over the shoulders. I also dislike the fact that there is NO pockets of any sort on this. SOP had a large fanny pouch for the safety line to go into for easy transport. I could also put my bow hanger in it!

Next up will be the Muddy system.

Comment

I need to look into this too.

Comment

I tried on all of the above harnesses last month and stuck with the Muddy. I was going to hold out for the Tree Spider, but it lost out due to the availability and the sewn in buckles for Scentlock's jackets. The Muddy and the Gorrilla both have sternum straps to keep the straps from falling off your shoulders, and as a bonus the Muddy has integrated Bino straps! All this for $119.99 retail locked up the Muddy (Available in Black and Realtree).

Comment

I have the HSS, and while it is bulky I don't mind because of all the pockets you have to hold stuff in and attach your binos and range finder. I have had to drag out 3 deer with it as well and it works pretty dang good. I have never tried any other so I can't offer and advice on what else to use.

Comment

All - I'm pretty new on here - thanks for the great feedback!

I'm checking out Muddy's website now (thanks Kokanee), haven't heard much about this one. Looks like you get the most for your $$ and it's LIGHT (which we all seem to think is important)!

BIG IRON - let me know what you think when yours comes in.

Comment

Anytime. They are in stock at Bass Pro in Grapevine (Both Colors). I didn't think to look at Cabela's in Fort Worth last night while I was there. Cabela's Allen still has nothing but HSS right now!

Comment

The place where I will be doing a lot of hunting this year is out in west Texas where there are no trees that can support my hanging stand but there are miles of power lines. Something tells me that it is a bad idea to hang a stand on a power pole but I was wondering if anyone had done this before and if it is relatively safe.

Comment

Originally posted by hero_moneybags View Post
                          The place where I will be doing a lot of hunting this year is out in west Texas where there are no trees that can support my hanging stand but there are miles of power lines. Something tells me that it is a bad idea to hang a stand on a power pole but I was wondering if anyone had done this before and if it is relatively safe.
                          I think it is illegal and if not the power co will probably not be happy about it

Also, I have no experience with the newer climbers but I know someone that will tell you it is a very bad idea to try out your new climber on a telephone pole with the old style climbers that had the V bars. Had a buddy come down a telephone pole at high speed, he did not get hurt but it scared him bad enough he never tried it again

Comment

I'm thinking of ditching my HSS for a decent rock climbing harness.

Comment

I've always used the Summit line (not made in China). It doesn't matter what you use, follow the instructions, they should come with a safety video, or you can watch this video from the TMA. http://www.treestandvideo.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X