Scoring a deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scoring a deer

So, I looked around and could not find a clear answer to taking mass measurements. Some Deer have a lot of pearling/bumps at the base of their antlers that extend partialy up main beans. These bumps can be large, so that a 1/4 wide measure tape will not fit between the bumps. Is it appropriate to just meaure around the bumps or should I try to slide cable in between bumps.

Scoring a deer

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
    So, I looked around and could not find a clear answer to taking mass measurements. Some Deer have a lot of pearling/bumps at the base of their antlers that extend partialy up main beans. These bumps can be large, so that a 1/4 wide measure tape will not fit between the bumps. Is it appropriate to just meaure around the bumps or should I try to slide cable in between bumps.

I think you are supposed to slide the tape to the smallest measurement between each point.

I could be completely wrong though so don’t take my advice.

I measured this deer while having a few too many beers and for the last three years I thought I had never killed a deer that broke 150. It wasn’t until this year when I looked at the score sheet 3 years later that I forgot to add a couple of mass measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Black Ice; 02-05-2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

You have to find and take the lowest mass measurement.

Comment

Use a string or small cable

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
          You have to find and take the lowest mass measurement.
          This

Comment

A cable is correct way to measure a deer

Comment

A 1/4 inch steel tape is the correct way to get mass measurment acording to Pope & Young

Comment

1/4" tape only on mass measurements. Cable can be used for beam and tine length or a 1/4" tape. Cable is the easiest on beam length and some tine length.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  1/4" tape only on mass measurements. Cable can be used for beam and tine length or a 1/4" tape. Cable is the easiest on beam length and some tine length.
                  Yes...^^^
                  And you take the lowest mass measurement you find for each circumference.

Comment

Yes, wrap and slide the 1/4 flexible tape around and slide to find smallest circumference. If the smallest happens to be over rough burring, so be it.

Comment

Ok....so I was half right

Comment

Originally posted by ronny View Post
                        A 1/4 inch steel tape is the correct way to get mass measurment acording to Pope & Young
                        This is what is states in the PY manual. If you can't get between the bumps with a 1/4" tape then they bump the mass.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I was already using/knew it was smallest measurement as well as the 1/4 tape for mass. I was trying to figure how to worm the cable between bums and keep straight, it was killing me. I have a couple deer that are really rough and carry their bumps/pearling up high on brow tines and main beams. Im stuck trying to break 130 gross.

Comment

[quote=Passthrough;13162089]A cable is correct way to measure a deer[/
                            Last edited by samson33; 02-06-2018, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                              Thanks for all the help. I was already using/knew it was smallest measurement as well as the 1/4 tape for mass. I was trying to figure how to worm the cable between bums and keep straight, it was killing me. I have a couple deer that are really rough and carry their bumps/pearling up high on brow tines and main beams. Im stuck trying to break 130 gross.
                              Got any pics of the horns and pics of how you’re wrapping the tape around the areas you have in question for mass measurements?
                              I have one like you’re explaining I think with real bumpy bases all the way to the g2’s

Comment

Working...
                              X