How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
    Looking for a saltwater flats/surf outfit that won't break the bank. Came across this:

Good/Bad? I like theblifetime warranty
    What is your budget?

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
      What is your budget?
      $200 was my target budget.

I was considering both new and used. I didn't initially think the "new" would get me a surf/flat saltwater combo with line until I saw this. The bonus is the lifetime warranty on the rod.

I will likely fish this setup at most 4 times a year. I live too far from the coast and enjoy bowhunting too much in the fall/spring.

It needs to be a 4pc. I am addicted to the travel size setup.

I need to be able to fish in the Texas surf as that is the most family friendly place around.

Comment

Snagging sockeye on a fly rod.. Incredible

Comment

I was considering both new and used. I didn't initially think the "new" would get me a surf/flat saltwater combo with line until I saw this. The bonus is the lifetime warranty on the rod.

I will likely fish this setup at most 4 times a year. I live too far from the coast and enjoy bowhunting too much in the fall/spring.

It needs to be a 4pc. I am addicted to the travel size setup.

I need to be able to fish in the Texas surf as that is the most family friendly place around.

I have zero experience with that or any other similar combo.

My recommendation was going to be go TFO, but once you factor in reel and line you would be way over budget.

Comment

When it's hard to get eats the little guys will always play.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1466606825.198528.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	24449015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The 3rd time in a week one of these guys fools you into thinking you have a big brownie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1466606880.271991.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	24449016

Comment

Originally posted by GGTexas34111 View Post
                Snagging sockeye on a fly rod.. Incredible
                Blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                  Blasphemy
                  I mean making a perfect cast to put the "fly" in front of the sockeye and assuming you have a bite so you set the hook... Incredible

Comment

So I stopped into sportsmans finest in bee caves just a minute ago...

I had no idea you could drop $900 on a rod!!

That's a cool little shop though

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post

Lol yep, and it hurts so good.

However, prices of new fly rods from the big manufacturers are getting a bit out of hand. There are great deals on the used market.

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post

Oh you bet!

Before I started tying my own flies, I would go to the Orvis store to buy them. The prices of rods and reels were amazing to think about. The flies were kinda pricey too, which is one reason I started tying my own.

But I do beleive if you spend alot of time fishing, it would be worth it. For the small stuff I chase and the small water I on... our mid level entry stuff works great.

But, for big water, and big fish... I am skeptical of the $200 offerings. $200 is alot to spend to realize you chose wrong....

Comment

Here's a Question: summertime coastal surf fishing the wading and 1st gut.... 8wt or 9wt? (Single handed rod) and why?

Comment

Oh you bet!

Before I started tying my own flies, I would go to the Orvis store to buy them. The prices of rods and reels were amazing to think about. The flies were kinda pricey too, which is one reason I started tying my own.

But I do beleive if you spend alot of time fishing, it would be worth it. For the small stuff I chase and the small water I on... our mid level entry stuff works great.

But, for big water, and big fish... I am skeptical of the $200 offerings. $200 is alot to spend to realize you chose wrong....

It is true you do get what you pay for. The setups I fish cost $$$$, but if you fish a lot you won't regret the purchase (granted you picked the rod because it worked for you in the first place).

That being said there are a lot of companies now that are putting out really great stuff at reasonable (relative to fly fishing ) prices.

Comment

I went in Bass Pro with that in mind and left 700 dollars lighter in the wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by holdem View Post
                                I went in Bass Pro with that in mind and left 700 dollars lighter in the wallet.
                                It is easy to do! Bet it didn't come with line either

Comment

Working...
                                X