Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My crazy vacation story...Chew gets launched.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My crazy vacation story...Chew gets launched.

To make a short story long....

First family vacation in 4 years. Pinch pennies for months so me and the wife can relax and my daughter and youngest son can do lots of cool things in South Padre for a week.

Everything is going great for a few days and then we show up for our 1:00 appointment for a little Parasailing outing!

Abigail and Jeff (10 and 16 years old) are going to parasail at the same time. We're on the boat with about 6 other people and 4 crew members. One "captain", two deck hands, and one "captain in training". Everything starts out ok and we get out into the bay. Surf is calm, wind is nice.

They ask for volunteers to go first and my 10 yr old daughter immediately says "We will!". So the crew fit her and Jeff out in harnesses and life vests and tell them to get ready while they get the parasail up.

This is when the fecal matter hits the cooling apparatus. They get the parasail partially opened and the "captain" (early 20s, too cool for his own britches) is handling the parasail lines and gives the order to "GO". The driver gives it throttle and the chute falls into the water. They pull the chute back onto the rear deck, squeeze out a bunch of water, and start over.

To save time, I'm just gonna copy and paste the above paragraph 3 more times:

Attempt 2: They get the parasail partially opened and the "captain" (early 20s, too cool for his own britches) is handling the parasail lines and gives the order to "GO". The driver gives it throttle and the chute falls into the water. They pull the chute back onto the rear deck, squeeze out a bunch of water, and start over.

Attempt 3: They get the parasail partially opened and the "captain" (early 20s, too cool for his own britches) is handling the parasail lines and gives the order to "GO". The driver gives it throttle and the chute falls into the water. They pull the chute back onto the rear deck, squeeze out a bunch of water, and start over.

Attempt 4: They get the parasail partially opened and the "captain" (early 20s, too cool for his own britches) is handling the parasail lines and gives the order to "GO". The driver gives it throttle and the chute falls into the water. They pull the chute back onto the rear deck, squeeze out a bunch of water, and start over.

Somewhere between the third and fourth attempt there is some serious grumbling coming from the customers. I started expressing doubts about whether or not I wanted my kids being towed behind a boat attached to a long rope, 100' up in the air, by the 4 stooges.

And that's when the story gets real good.

This was the last pic I took before the parasailing trip from hell began:

Click image for larger version

Name:	boatdeck.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	24914232

While they were pulling in the parasail after the 4th failed attempt, the entire rear deck of the boat (the one they are standing on in the pic) launched upward. All four crew members went flying into the bay like young, scared, well-tanned, not-so cocky anymore, human missiles.

I didn't actually witness this because I was looking to the front of the boat and saying something to one of the kids. I heard a noise, looked back toward the crew, and they were gone! The deck had already slammed shut again after launching them into the water. A few of the ladies on the boat screamed something and then I realized that the crew dudes may be tangled up in the parachute behind the boat.

Side note: I've got my fairly brand new iPhone 4S and my son's HTC Inspire phone in my pocket. I get to the rear of the boat, jump up on the rear deck and get ready to start hauling no-longer-cocky captains and deckhands back onto the boat. That's when......wait for it......you guessed it:

The rear deck flies open again and launches my fat moneymaker like a 230 lb. well-muscled harpoon. I cleared the crew and made a splashless 9.9, 9.8, 9.7, 9.9, 9.8, 9.2 (**** French judges) entry, into the water.

I resurface, see that the crew is still hauling each other in, and decide to get far away from them and their superior nautical knowledge. I went to the side of the boat (it's got some kind of slick pontoons that weren't great for hauling yourself up on). I took off my shoes and threw them on board and then threw the phones up just in case they could be salvaged.

I held on to the side for about 4 hours (OK...probably one minute) and then the Captain "Trainee" and my son Jeff pulled me aboard the boat. By this time the crew was back on board and having a good ol' laugh at everything.

After a few choice words to the crew from me and a few others, they hightailed it back to the pier, dropped us off, and took off to who knows where. We got our refund and then I asked to speak to the owner. Of course he wasn't there but I got a business card for the general manager.

I called him from my wife's phone (me no gottie phone anymore). He said "he was already aware of the situation and was downing the boat and having the deck repaired".

I then advised him that I would need reimbursement for two waterlogged phones and also expressed my anger (in a kind, gentle way) about his crew that was messed up like a soup sandwich, the lack of apologies from the "Captain", and the laughing and joking on the way back in like it had all been a fun time.

He said he would initiate an "insurance claim" to try and cover my phone damage but didn't comment on his employees behavior.

I've had several phone calls and email with him since Tuesday but nothing resolved yet.

The company is Breakaway Cruises. I'll let y'all know if they make it right with me on the phones.

If not, please join me in another unofficial TBH boycott.
    Last edited by Chew; 08-10-2012, 06:25 AM.

Wow! Quite a debacle. Sounds like the whole crew needs to go.

Comment

They sound like real pros! Sorry they blew it but at least you have a good story! I hereby vow to join the boycott!

Comment

Chew I hate to hear about a fun time getting "messed up" so quickly! We were down in SPI a month ago and did the para sailing thing with Breakaway. Luckily we didnt have any problems on our trip out and the captain and his helper were both very professional. I hope they will make it right on the phones!
        Im wondering if all of the regular crews have already gone back to college or started their off season jobs and they are trying to run it with inexperienced hands until it shuts down for the winter months? Either way, they need to make it right with you on the phones and perhaps a call to whoever regulates the businesses that operate down there might be in order.
        Last edited by dawgkllr; 08-10-2012, 06:39 AM. Reason: added text

Comment

well, at least you got to go swimming!

glad everyone is okay

Comment

Good times!

Comment

Wow....................that's scary.I can only imagine what would've happened if the deck had flown off while somebody was in the parasail.Glad everybody made it back safe.

DJ

Comment

Sounds like a Mickey Mouse operation.

Comment

I love your story telling. Sorry bout the phones..

Comment

Man sorry to hear that! I've had a bad experience (kind of) with them! You know how they normally "dip" you in the water up to your waste? Well when I went they dipped us to about 5 feet about out heads! Not sure how far under the water I was or how long but I was an unhappy camper!

Comment

Sorry about the bad time I know how hard it is these days to afford a vacation. I say if you get nowhere we cat fact them.

Comment

I almost hate to askā€¦.but how did the rest of your trip go?

Comment

LOL... Sorry Chew about the busted fun.. but dang you can write a funny story dude. I'm still laughing.

Comment

Dang Chew.... That sounds like a bad situation, sounds like you guys made the best of it though

Hopefully they will make it right!!!

Comment

Rest of the trip was great. Nice beaches, restaurants, bungee jumping, fishing, etc!

Comment

Working...
                              X